Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
  • Interests:MUD,MUD, GREY GOOSE, JEEP
Its a m62. The upgrade is either a m90 or a tvs unit

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Heep-A-Lop (12/20/06 11:16 am) -- no sense of humour with the nazi regime........

1989 Jeep XJ Black HEEP-A-LOP
Ford HP D44 front / Ford 8.8 Rear
sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
Son of Sam intake coming together

20130903_151940.jpg
20130903_151935.jpg
20130903_151923.jpg
20130903_151208.jpg
Heep-A-Lop (12/20/06 11:16 am) -- no sense of humour with the nazi regime........

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
Removable floor panel over shifters

20130903_151225.jpg
20130903_151128.jpg

Removable electric panel

20130903_151146.jpg

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
Well started it the otherday. Here is some vids.

Blower not hooked up. Fuel pressure 40 ish & 80 psi oil pressure.

1 min walk around

15 seconds from the drivers side

15 seconds from the tail pipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w05wN6kmuk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

mogman

mogman
  • Members
  • 377 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09
Anything new on Son of Sam? It was coming along really well.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

40 hours or so left till it starts and drives away. Just waiting on my ribs to finish up some under neath stuff. It's all plumbed, wired assembled and disassembled. A few cage additions later just to make sure he doesn't drive his head into the ground. I have about 1500 pictures I'll start posting up.  

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

we're going to step back a bit I found some old pictures. The Son of Sam is an Icon in Alberta. It was a force to be reckoned with in the day and Kev is an awesome driver. I've held the build up because I wanted it perfect. We put a ton of work into it and it was cool. We put a ton more in and it was cooler. But it came back and the 2.0 changes came to be. It actually was a f#ck load of work. The reason for the length of the build is I want it indestructable, comfortable, agile, light and not some ugly piece of straight tube crap. As an Icon it has to have a unique style. Kind of like Kev.

The motor  a good idea

pushing it back for a more central weight dispersal a good idea

the atlas a good idea

the powerglide a good idea

putting 100 pounds of this stuff in a 1 pound bag well that's the magic

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

right here it still seems so simple

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

and then Kev shows up in his military 1 1/4 ton

IMG_4408.JPG

It's nice but typical Kev you flip the hood up and its a 5.9

IMG_4409.JPG

Not hacked in either.It's the cleanest conversion I've ever seen. Looks like GM just turned it out. In an imaginary world.

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

Oh my god it has an allison in it !!! sorry the picture is up side down. It ruins the effect I just have no computer skillz

and back to the real world

IMG_4415.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

saw.jpg

IMG_4404.JPG

Lets play a game

sawsall.jpg

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

You're probably thinking this is a back track. I thought for the builders out there these shots were important. It shows where we started. Initialy we thought portions of the firewall could be saved and used to save time and work. We were wrong. As seen in earlier pictures The whole inside was gutted. IT would have saved a ton of time and effort just getting rid of the floor to begin with. Instead we wasted time installing the motor/tranny/t-case over and over fitting. This was a huge kick to nuts in the fabricating sense and sucked the life out of us. Energy could have been better spent else where. It was a huge motivational killer on the project as it's something you can't charge for. It was about a day or two down the tubes.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

again sorry to back track but a build is a build and I didn't have these pictures before. I took them and they're wasted if I don't use them

People ask me why I put tubes were I do and why they have so many bends and twists. It's because I clearance everything to moving parts. And take into account force applied to said moving parts. All parts suspension, cage, rims, tires etc will deflect or flex in a good hit. They'll move up to 1 maybe 1.5 inches or more. If you combine each part thats a lot of room for part collision in a hard landing/roll/bounce. A good way to ruin a lot of work. 

IMG_4682.JPG

on this job we hung the engine in place to map out the rail. You can use cad but I doubt you'll catch a casting lip on your block or a sensor etc. Cad is a good tool but as in gun making a properly hand crafted piece by a master will out preform a computer generated generic piece any day.

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

while we're fitting and clearancing things like making adaptor fittings for the fuel rail pop up and break attention.

IMG_4687.JPG

protecting parts that have to go in vulnurable spots such as this kms power steering pump come into play. This was the only spot we could fit this into the pully system.

and because of the crank pully size and rpm range of the motor we had to use a large diameter pully to prevent cavitation. Many people would slap a small pully on for clearance and be happy. Then be plagued with failing pumps and no room to correct the error later on.

IMG_4688.JPG

Like I said hours of clearancing. Hours and hours of up down up down side to side etc.... Then you bend the parts install and do it over.

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

and since that frame rail is pretty weak by itself a lower was installed and trussed.

IMG_4883.JPG

As it sits it's all apart again. The pictures previously were test fitting and now I'm welding they inside and beautifying.

The pictures are all over the place sorry for that there's so many to dig through.

I'm trying to find the pictures of the drive shaft issues we ran into because the axles were set up for the Suzuki drive train they were built around.

For example we made the belly as tight as we could to this little guy and moved the pinion to line up with the tail shaft for less binding in the u-joint and cv. This didn't work at all  with the atlas. It bound with the slightest travel.  I never ever would have lined the pinion up with the zuk case if I had known we were putting an atlas in it.  As well I never thought the atlas would cause so many issues until we set it in place and found out.

IMG_3906.JPG

The biggest issue is there's no room to move anything anywhere. Normally you could slide the case to one side.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

IMG_4724.JPG

As you can see the output is on the opposite side. There is no easy way out

and all of this is junk

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

Here's the part of my job I hate and people think is easy. What do I do? There was one trip on these axles before the upgrade was decided. 

IMG_3983.JPG

TeamHyperBoost

TeamHyperBoost
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 08-May 12

mounting the brake calipers that way will be troublesome... they will not bleed properly 

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
explain that to spidertrax thats where they mount them.
they are slightly lower on the one bleeder.

it actually bleed good when it went out first time. the master was another story

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
u can bleed them outta the mounts to pretty easy. same style brake as what we use on the 2.5 ton brake kits

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

OG 23

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 21-February 10

Hey jay I have a Motive products pressure bleeder, I bought it from Summit Racing, it's f'n unreal for manual master cylinders, you don't even have to bench bleed them, take any manual master cylinder outta the box, pressure bleed your whole system and whola, best possible brakes, with zero air bubbles! Best part is you can use it to pressure test your whole system overnight or for days if you have a pesky leak and they work on any kinda master cylinder, manual or boosted. Before I bought it I betcha I spent over 6 hrs screwing around with bleeding, bench bleeding MC's and lines and all that bullchit.

Oh and another thing it doesn't matter how your calipers are mounted, it pushes all the air out!

Heep-A-Lop

Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
gonna have to look into one of those for the shop.

sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

While this build is taking forever it did run half way through it's life here. At that point we bled the brakes which I thought might be a problem but the bled easy. They worked well. Kev just decided it needed a bigger motor and tranny and t-case. I've seen oem brakes mounted like that and upside down that don't bleed worth a s#it ut they only have one bleed port not 4

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

OG 23

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 21-February 10

Man am I excited to see it done again!

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

you're excited I haven't had use of that hoist in a loooong time. Once it's out either my buggy or Erins jeep will move in.

anyways the axle deal

I pulled it out of Sam and pulled it all apart. I had to anyway. There was  an axle seal leak which was puzzling because I installed a dual seal in them and they'd only been run maybe and hour. So I had to pull the center section to see if I screwed up on install.

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

Once they were out I plyed with the shafts to see if I could swap sides to center the pinion better.

IMG_3946.JPG

Luck would have it the offset of the center section worked with the axle lengths to almost perfectly center the pinion. It left it just a little to the one side which worked out even better because the out put of the case was off center as well.

IMG_3947.JPG

everything was cleaned off the housing. I nicked it a few times with the torch. There was so much to remove.

IMG_3948.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users