• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can start to throw together a thread on my recent engine and transmission swap...

It all started with a rollover I bought out of Saskatchewan, 155,000 kms on the clock and I was able to drive it off the trailer, still lots of good parts but a lot of junk and scrap too.

That plan was to keep the 6.0L LQ4 and 4L80E then sell anything else of value, I'll pull out my list later but believe it or not I actually turned a profit on this truck!! Motor and Trans ended up being "free" and I pocketed another $1,200 or so on top of the purchase price.

The truck body itself was THUNDERed, but the engine bay was clean ...

Donor1.JPG

Donor2.JPG

Attached Files

Once along time ago, in a subduction zone not to far away, great thrust faults and up-lift occurred, that my friend blows me away..... In this great land, we all treasure the same, I see no reason to only have mud trails, thats just lame. Thus today I made a vow I promise to uphold, I will find a rock trail in Alberta by hunting through the heat, rain and even the cold. So to all those Igneous and sedimentary rocks around, look out, the day is coming when you will be found.

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
I knew I wanted to work on the Motor and Trans while I had them on the bench and easily accesible .. Tons of research into head swaps, cams, LS6 take off parts, etc etc .. Many, many ways to make some pretty nice reliable power on a 3rd Gen LS series engine but in the end I decided to get it up and running smoothly before changing too many variables .. plus I was short on time, like really short.

The transmission however was a different story, I have see too many trans failures on the trails, too many junkyard tranny's ruining races (often when your 2,000 miles from home) etc.. Being I needed to get in there and swap the output shaft (basically the LAST thing you remove from the trans) I figured it was time to add some bling and freshen things up a bit...

I bought myself the ATSG manual, and a pile of whizzy parts out of a respected US shop, and a case of beer .. I figured this was going to take some time (it took me 20hrs of actual working time for full tear-down and rebuild .. then I log onto YouTube and see a guy do a full tear-down in 20 mins hah!)

Trans1.JPG

Trans2.JPG
Once along time ago, in a subduction zone not to far away, great thrust faults and up-lift occurred, that my friend blows me away..... In this great land, we all treasure the same, I see no reason to only have mud trails, thats just lame. Thus today I made a vow I promise to uphold, I will find a rock trail in Alberta by hunting through the heat, rain and even the cold. So to all those Igneous and sedimentary rocks around, look out, the day is coming when you will be found.

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
For the harness and ECU, I considered buying another EFI Live license for this engine, considered thinning out the harness myself but again for the sake of time I decided to outsource these two projects.

The Harness went to "Dave" a friend of WayneHartwig down in the US, and the ECU went to Wayne to be re-worked and tweaked a bit. Nothing major but I needed to have VATS removed, delete some emission stuff, and I asked that all torque management be removed as well since the trans would be beefed up.

For the cost, this turned out to be a GREAT move .. Check out the before and after pics of the harness itself, also the OBDII port and check engine light are a nice touch!

You will notice I have essentially kept ALL sensors for this motor... it's a little extra work up front but the reliability down the road should be well worth it. Again, Ive seen buggies run really well at sea level, then shit the bed at a Colorado hill climb so I wanted to make sure my engine would be able to adapt.

Before
Harness before.JPG

After
Harness After.JPG

OBDII and Engine Light
OBD.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

Mr.Duck

Mr.Duck

Lefty loosey

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Joined 26-March 08
A few i found

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1118.JPG
  • The end.jpg

FAWK THAT

wahlstrom1

wahlstrom1

U.A. 2010! Bent and broke....

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
If you still have truck parts lemme know!!!
Ranger - Work In Progress

Petersons U.A. 2010, Helluva trip

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
Fred is trying to imply that all I do is stand around and eat pizza .. which is only true 75% of the time :)

Sorry Andrew, truck/donor parts are long gone!

Out with the old 4.0 .. To avoid cutting off front bumpers/grill hoops etc I really had to lift it up there. Was pretty sketchy having your motor 6ft in the air,

Outwithold.JPG

Started to clean things up, found everything from cig butts to petrified mice hah!

Engine.JPG

Once I had the block and trans dropped in I got super excited about the weight bias, with the balancer about 9" behind my front axle I should feel a little more comfortable with big air/hang time..Usually I drop out of the sky and land on my "face"

Weightbias.JPG

At this same time I decided to gut the interior, build a new dash for better visibility and did away with all the facotry wiring .. "Rear Window Defrost" circuit?? Yeah - probably not needed ...

Old dash line
Olddash.JPG

New dash line
Startofdash.JPG

Super bad ass 110V Flux-Core welding FTW!!

Weld.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
Once the motor was in and located I could start to massage the motor mounts and work on exhaust manifolds ... During mock-up (and from earlier reading) I concluded that the factory "truck" manifold wouldn't work for me .. They flared out too far and basically dumped on top of my frame.

Luckily my buddy Phil has some LS3 Manifolds taken off of his Vette and I was able to get them for one hell of a deal .. Freebie, Zilch, Zero, Nada!

However, the motor mounts themselves needed to be notched a bit .. No big deal,

MMnotch.JPG

MMnotch2.JPG

LS3manifold.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
Moving further down the driveline, I did a bit of tub trimming in order to tuck everything up for a nice flat belly.. Aside from the T-case I still had a ton of room around the Transmission itself...Was able to rework an existing rubber transmission mount I had sitting around and after a bit of massaging it worked out perfectly!

Tubtrim.JPG

flatbelly.JPG

Transmount.JPG

Everything just looks better flat black doesnt it? :)

Transmount2.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

SLAYERMIKE

SLAYERMIKE
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 07-April 09
Looks awesome! Any idea on the diference in weight?

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
I couldn't believe it when I read it but a full dressed LQ4 (iron block) is 50 lbs lighter than a fully dressed 4.0 !!! ... However, the 4L80E is a PIG and likely outweighs any savings made from the engine/dash/etc swap and removal.

The whole project was fun because I sort of bounced around and worked on different parts of it depending how I was feeling,

Added a console to serve as the base for my Winters Shifter,
Console.JPG

I had to make an in-line radiator steam port fitting .. Some guys have capped this off but again, I wanted this engine to run as well as the GM engineers designed it so a little tubing spliced into the upper rad hose and wala! Saved me $40 from Summit or something like that,
steamport.JPG

Put the biggest trans cooler I could find in the grill and even opted for a fan set-up despite the fact the cooler should get good airflow where it's mounted,Tcooler.JPG

4" Aluminum Intake that my buddy Phil TIG'd up for me ... Hey, phones for you!!
Phone.JPG

Of course, a little help in the shop never hurts!
Helper.JPG

And to jump ahead a little because I was super stoked with how it turned out, my finished dash! Got lots of compliments on it this past weekend before the covering it in mud,
Dash.JPG

Dash2.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

mogman

mogman
  • Members
  • 377 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09
What a great job!! Your dash looks amazing. Nice grab for your swap! Congrats.

darthyota

darthyota
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08
man your 115v flux weld looks like 6010. but i am just drooling over your dash i really want something like that in my 4runner

DaveW

DaveW
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 02-November 09
About time you got yourself some power!!!

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
A few more pics and updates .. Exhaust, having never attempted this before I figured why not? Went down to Gregg's and picked up some 3" Aluminized tubing, few 90's, few elbows, etc etc .. Also grabbed a 5" OD muffler as that was all I could tuck in my skid plate.

Tacked together Drivers Side w/ flange,
DS exhaust.JPG

Drivers Side, down to muffler before I spliced in the Pass Side/Y-pipe
DS pre Ypipe.JPG

Mark/Trace/Cut ... Wala!
Exhaust cutout.JPG

Ypipe.JPG

Wish I took better pics but this will give you an idea,
Exhaust.JPG

In an earlier pic you can sort of see a homebrew start of 2pc front DS, which meant the old DS had to be shortened .. With a limited budget and NO time, it was done with a level on the bench at home. Not perfect but got me out there!
Front DS.JPG

One last one for fun .. Don't bother buying wire wheels anymore, I've found a much more effective way to remove paint... Simply let the HRC mud bake in +30 deg and the hard work is done for you hah!
HRC Mud.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

madness

madness
  • Members
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 01-July 08
  • Interests:rocks.mud.snow...trucks.sleds.bikes...anything turbo
almost all my cage paint has started peeling aswell.
79 scout2 ,1st gen cummins running a hx35.non intercooled,727,205. front60 has 35spline inner and outers witha detroit and full hydro psc set up, rear is a dana80 5:13s and welded,3link front and rear.16 fox coilovers upfront and airs in the rear with 4'' bumps on all 4 corners. cage is 1.75 .188wall , rollin on 44boggers with locks. daily driver is a 86 burban 8'' on 38 boggers 5150 all around with radflo bumps up front. 60/14bolt welded in the front , ram assit.. soon to get a cummins so i can tow with it.

85 Chevota

85 Chevota
  • Members
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 05-February 07
I have no paint left on my front or rear diff. And most of the paint on the cage is gone. That mud is awful.

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

So what's next? ... Try to find some MO POWA' I figure?

243 heads.jpg

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

You guys are all screwed this season ... Get outta my way haha :)

LQ4 Paint.JPG

LS3 Injector.JPG

Rock Poss'e 06

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Wow Joey I just saw this thread and read it. I must have missed it. Awesome. Love the dash. Great work man! 

Toofattofly

Toofattofly
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 05-July 12

haha, looks like Power!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users