• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

The above intake pictured is from a Trailblazer SS .. which if you ask me is one hell of a "soccer mom" SUV considering it comes equipped with an LS2!!

The benefit of running a "truck" intake versus a lower profile LS3 intake for example is that the taller runners and height of the intake itself is better suited to torque related applications, it also helps to keep all of my accessories "in-line". If a person swaps to a LS3 or F-body intake, they must also change up their accessory mounting so for me it made a lot of sense to go with the TBSS.

The LS2 comes with #33 injectors, compared to #28 for my LQ4 stockers .. However, I happened to have a pretty fresh set of LS3 injectors (#42) sitting on the workbench so I started to look into the best way to make these work with my set-up.

Despite the LS2 and LS3 essentially having the exact same fuel rail, there is a height difference in the injectors itself. If I was going to a taller injector I would space the rail up higher, however I was going to a shorter injector which required an "adapter" ... Found these cool little height adapters from Fuel Injector Connection,

Height adapter.JPG

Despite it looking a little hokey with the double clips etc, everything seated nicely into the manifold itself and afterall, I'm definitely not the first to do this. I am sure it will be fine,

Injectors.JPG

Once along time ago, in a subduction zone not to far away, great thrust faults and up-lift occurred, that my friend blows me away..... In this great land, we all treasure the same, I see no reason to only have mud trails, thats just lame. Thus today I made a vow I promise to uphold, I will find a rock trail in Alberta by hunting through the heat, rain and even the cold. So to all those Igneous and sedimentary rocks around, look out, the day is coming when you will be found.

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

I managed to get a few small things wrapped up and was able to test fire the engine this weekend. You'll see that it started quite quickly and easily ... I did have 3 leaking injector adapters out of the 8 however after a heat cycle the o-rings seated properly and I guess the dish soap I used to seat them sort of "burnt off".

Turn your speakers down for the attached video as it's pretty annoying, had to run it at 2000-2500 rpm as per cam break in requirements (it's all new to me, never done this before).

First Start with 2200rpm - YouTube

NOW, I do have a few questions for the masses ... What you can possibly hear in that video (and better in the below video) is a mechanical "ticking" noise. I immediately freaked out and assumed it was lifter or pushrod related, however after a few hours of reading online I am seeing most everyone describe this as normal? People describe the sound as being similar to a sewing machine and while I am not sure that's how I would describe my sound, I do have this consistent "ticking" that increases with engine speed and RPM.

Some related info, all performed on an iron-block LQ4:
- Comp Cam suggested a 7.40" pushrod for my specific cam,
- Running 7.40" pushrods, cleaned before install making sure of no blockages.
- New oil pump installed, new double roller timing chain and gear set
- 30 PSI Oil Pressure at Idle, 40 PSI at 2200 RPM.
- New lifters which were pre-soaked in oil before install
- Yellow LS6 springs on 243 heads
- Factory LQ4 rockers reused and torqued to spec (non-adjustable)

The below video shot at about 2000-2500RPM might give a better sense of the sounds ... I suppose one "good thing" is that the sound appears to be consistent along the entire length of the valve cover. If it were just in one location then I'd suspect a bent valve/pushrod/stuck lifter etc etc.

So whats the verdict? Is this normal? Should I pull the valve covers and recheck my torque despite the sound being uniform along the entire length of both valve covers?

Did I leave anything out? Any questions?

Lifter Noise - YouTube

Thanks for your help!!

Most of my reading on LS1 Forums etc etc people simply attributed this to a more aggressive ramp rate, a stiffer spring, etc etc .. Basically your valves are opening and slamming shut faster and with more force. Actually one guy had the perfect quote with respect to a cam swap in LS engines... he said "It's like a small penis, you just learn to live with it" haha!

Once along time ago, in a subduction zone not to far away, great thrust faults and up-lift occurred, that my friend blows me away..... In this great land, we all treasure the same, I see no reason to only have mud trails, thats just lame. Thus today I made a vow I promise to uphold, I will find a rock trail in Alberta by hunting through the heat, rain and even the cold. So to all those Igneous and sedimentary rocks around, look out, the day is coming when you will be found.

Rock Poss'e 06

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Since I'm as usefull as a poopy flavoured lollypop when it comes to motors I'll get G-man to watch and listen. It sounds like gold diggers motor. After he ran it on the side at Havoc in the log trap I got in it and heard that sewing machine tick. I'm told it's normal. 

Jigger

Jigger
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 11-September 11
  • Interests:Killing small animals with high powered rifles.
    Banjo music
I had a couple of stock 6.0's in earlier gm 2500's. Had the sound in both. Gm told me it was normal and not to worry about it. They were company trucks, so I didn't. Never had a failure of any kind on either. We ran them to 140,000 km. a little different application, but same noise.

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

Thanks guys, and thanks Clay I'd appreciate Barry's thoughts.

I spoke with Phil aka the Mad Scientist and he's got me considering a slightly longer pushrod due to the smaller base circle on the new camshaft. I should definitely pull a valve cover and take a second look, check for any play in the pushrods, or even the rocker trunions eh?

Attached Thumbnails

• oring.jpg

Rock Poss'e 06

montymbad

montymbad
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

To me that sounds like valvetrain slack.   Almost sounds like you put a set of solids in there, hahaha.  I would get a pushrod measurement tool, and double check what length you need.  Also what springs are you running on the valve (ie how much pressure open and closed).  And what thickness of pushrod as well.  I've heard it hypothesized that with a thin pushrod wall, high ramp weight, and high spring pressures,  you can get enough deflection that when the valve reseats it creates a bit of play between the pushrod, lifter and rocker arm.  Pretty much popping the rocker arm off the spring and then bringing it back down when the lobe comes back around.  The pushrod takes longer to straighten back up and take up that slack.  Rev it high enough and you bend the pushrods because they don't have time to straighten back up.  That was from an old hot rodder friend of my dad.  He always ran thick pushrods and said he never bent one.  When I rebuilt the engine in one my trucks I had a tick and that was what he suggested.  It turned out my pushrod was a touch short, but I took his advice and put in heavier pushrods and never regretted it.   

Monty

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

The current pushrods are 7.40" long, 5/16th dia and are 0.080 wall chromoly .. I think your bang on, I need to check my pushrod length.

Thanks so much for chiming in, as I said this is all brand new to me ... I've already learned that I didnt need to do the high-rev "cam break in" because well, it's a full roller/hydraulic cam haha!

Ahh the learning never ends :)

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

Quick update for those who've been helping and giving me some guidance!

Went home last night, pulled a valve cover and grabbed onto a few pushrods .. What I found was that I can actually turn or pivot the pushrod in place. I can't really discern any "vertical" slop per se .. but that really doesnt mean too much given the tolerances we're talking about here.

I've ordered a set of 7.425" pushrods and will have them swapped in later this week, hopefully that solves my "rattle" and I am ready to peel the fawk out :) :)

GiS GiS

Rock Poss'e 06

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

A quick post-weekend update … Friday afternoon I swung past Mopac to get those longer pushrods (7.425") .. Went home, anxiously removed rockers, cleaned/lubed/installed new pushrods and began the torque sequence. You can imagine the horror and shock on my face when the 14th rocker bolt sheared off in the head !??! .. I suspect a mis-calibrated torque wrench as this bolt was in initially torqued to 22ft/lbs and when I went to re-check I was able to spin it a further 1/2 turn. Either way, as soon as I heard and felt that "snap" I just froze.. Quietly collected my things and went in the house, I was feeling physically sick that I was facing a tear-down and potential head removal ..

Saturday morning cooler heads prevailed, out came the TIG and I managed to extract the bolt after 20 mins work..

So, now that everything was re-assembled it was time for a test fire … While the tick has noticeably quieted down, it's still somewhat existent (no video as YouTube was acting up..) however, I think at this point I am going to proceed with the tuning side of things before I worry too much more .. Incorrect timing, fuel trims etc could all be compounding my issues. I mention this because when I pulled plug #1 to find TDC to torque the rockers, I noticed the plugs were quite "white" after maybe 15 minds of runtime.

So in any event, it's up and running, sounds better but not perfect .. Going to focus on tuning for this coming week rather than stuff yet another longer pushrod in here potentially turning everything into a solid drivetrain!

Joey

P.S. I also spoke with Comp Cams who confirmed the base circle on my new cam is the same as factory, must be the heads swap and subsequent increased compression ratio that is throwing me a few curveballs,

Rock Poss'e 06

montymbad

montymbad
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Did you compare the thickness of the head to the rocker mounting surface?  Also are you running the same thickness of gasket as was suggested for the length of pushrod?  Has anything been machined down etc etc.  Sounds like the engine is running lean and hot.  Also how old are the injectors, how long were they sitting?  I would pull all your plugs and see if they all match up.  Could be a sticky injector.  They sound an awful lot like lifter rattle.

Monty

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

sorry man I haven't talked with Barry in a bit. I'm out of touch out here.

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06

Could it be the injectors that you're hearing cycle?

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
Hey buddy ! What size of tubing did you make your dash out of ?

GiS

GiS

Rock AWN!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06

The interior/dash was all done using 1.50" dom .. I also opted for 0.095 wall just to save a few pounds :)

Rock Poss'e 06

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
That's perfect ! Thanks a lot !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users