• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Having the overly heavy, massive wheeler that I do.....towing situations can be interesting.   4 years ago I bought a 04 F650 crew cab medium duty truck and made it into a crawler hauler.   The build thread can be found here.  
http://www.rme4x4.co...read&highlight=

or here for Pirate

http://www.pirate4x4...uler-build.html

I absolutely loved that truck.   It was VERY underpowered but it could have been upgraded some.    The problem with that truck was the expense.   I had a 16k loan on it, it was a 04 meaning insurance and registration was spendy.   Work got slow and I couldnt afford the truck so it had to go.    Ever since that, Ive wanted another rig that would be big enough to put the Scout on the flatbed and haul a camp trailer behind.

For me this is the best towing situation there is.   I did the long trailer with a camper mounted on the front.   Problem is you get to moab, you have to pack up camp every time you want to run a trail and then your hauling and parking a long trailer between trails.    For guys with street legal rigs, this would work.   Not for me.

SOOOO

Ive been watching for a long time trying to find the ideal truck for me.   I didnt want a semi.   I wanted another crew cab medium duty truck.   Prices for them have skyrocketed lately.   If I would have kept the 650, I could have almost doubled my money for it!    I was looking in the 5k range.   Even 1980s crew cab medium duties, beat to hell, no bed are selling for 9000!  :eek2:  Im sure deals still pop up but I wasnt having any luck.    

Well....this thing popped up and I drove by to take a look.   
2013-09-30112652_zpsd44b5624.jpg

First impression was bad.  The bed was to short, wheelbase was to short, interior wasnt great.    I left without hearing it run or even talking to them,  But for whatever reason the thing kept haunting me.  I went back the next day with the same result.  Not for me.   Finally a week later I went again and had them fire it up.  I didnt know how to drive it so they took me around in it for a ride.   It sounds friggin awesome!   Seemed to have good power and it seemed to be working fine.    BUT there were still so many negatives.   I left.

Well about a month later this thing is still for sale.   I go back again.   He asks whats holding me back, pointed out a few issues and he has them fixed.   Well now Im out of excuses.   A week later I go back AGAIN and decide I want it.   I gave a deposit and then went to North Dakota to learn how to drive a semi by helping a buddy out with the sugar beet harvest.   So when I got home, so did the truck.
Here is the first day home
2013-10-16%2011.40.48_zpsnwjkkjwh.jpg

The drive home was interesting.   Lots of problems I wasnt expecting.  Nothing major.   But lots of things associated with a 27 year old truck.  Stuff that will nickle and dime me to death Im sure,

So anyway...Its a 1986 Volvo with a 6v92 Detroit motor and a 9 speed transmission.
This is not going to be an over the top fancy build.  Quite the opposite.   Im going to make it functional with as little cash as possible.

Initial plans for the truck are
-extend the flatbed
-add stacks
-replace the horrible air ride seats in the front
And after this I will just use it.   Eventually I would like to update the paint, maybe the interior but this will always be a ugly old semi.  I dont see much sense in throwing a ton of money at it to try to make it otherwise.

Ignorance makes me immortal

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

I really didnt get many pics of it before it went under the knife.

I mentioned the seats.   They were bad.   Both front seats were air ride, both were awful.  The shocks were bad, air bags leaked, all the hinges were worn on the bases SO.....they just got yanked and thrown away.   Everyone Ive told say bad call.     Its a air ride cab but leaf sprung.   Time will tell I suppose.

I thought I had a pic of the seats but I cant find it.   But anyway...a trip to the junkyard with my brother resulted in me draggin this home
2013-10-23%2018.14.23_zps3q7uqavf.jpg

I was hoping to use the whole bench but it doesnt look like Im gonna get the center piece in.    The plan is to just solid mount the seats on some fabricated mounts.   The seat came out of a ext. cab 02 Superduty so they have built in seatbelts, but most importantly, I just like these seats.  Personally they are the most comfy seat out there for me and a big part of why I like Ford trucks.   As seen the drivers side is worn.   I will get a new foam and have it recovered.....someday.   It doesnt bother me at all the way it is right now.

I have done some tinkering on building the bases but I guess I havent taken any pics yet

Edit..I found one before pic!
2013-09-28%2014.12.20_zpsjypdlstp.jpg

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

So before I started cutting I got bored and decided I would pull the Scout on the bed.   I wanted to see exactly how much I needed to extend and I just wanted to get an idea of what it was all gonna look like.

The truck is parked on the side of my house so its hard to get any good pics right now.

2013-11-09%2014.56.59_zpskbx8rwfl.jpg
2013-11-09%2014.35.01_zpswyc0fxoc.jpg
2013-11-09%2014.43.30_zpse6a5a3lr.jpg

Actually, the truck had some side rails welded on the sides.   Those have been cut off in these pics.

The bed was almost 12 foot long.   I was surprised I got the Scout up off the ground but the front tires were right at the cab.   My original plan for the bed was to cut the dovetail off, extend the flat deck by 2' and reattach the dovetail.
So out came the plasma cutter
2013-11-28%2014.30.38_zpsiac0awxg.jpg
2013-11-28%2015.28.17_zpshxobj9n6.jpg

After tearing into it, and seeing how ghetto fabbed this bed actually is...I decided the small dovetail wasnt gonna fly.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

So I decided just to build a 5' dove off where I cut.

This gives me a couple advantages.   The angle will be very slight.   Im confident with some long ramps I can pull a car up there.   I sold my car hauler already and I dont plan on buying another one so I hope this works for when I get my drag race car together someday.    
It also makes it so I can be sure the hitch will be sufficient.   Only bad part is I had to buy some metal.    I was very happy with how the dovetail turned out on my F650 so Im pretty much copying it straight over to this truck.
C channel stringers with angle iron inbetween.  The center will stay lower and will be decked in for a place to put a cooler or a generator.
2014-01-04%2017.15.16_zpsqrkap9gk.jpg

My buddy Rob was over here the other day picking up his truck.  He grabbed a hold of my dovetail as it was in this pic.   Yup.....every tack weld broke and the thing went to the ground!!   THANKS ROB.  hehehe    I should have took a pic.  Oh well.   It went back together pretty smooth

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Yesterday I got the pieces welded back up and got the angle iron tacked in place

2014-01-25%2010.36.04_zpsjgnw6lwc.jpg

I got some tread plate to fill in the sides of the new dovetail.  Its 1/4" so it will act as a big gusset supporting the sides.   In the center Im running square tube back up to the frame.   It will bolt to the frame in a few spots and I think it will be overkill.

2014-01-25%2017.16.56_zpsqndbu9e5.jpg

The tread plate will go down these tubes after connecting to the flatbed.   These tubes will also support the hitch.    The truck came with a big ol stand supporting a truck box.   I cut the stand up and Im using the  square tube for this part.   Thats why there is black paint on them.    Its 2x3" and 1/4" wall

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Started tinkering with the hitch support

2014-01-28%2016.52.19_zpscrpzh940.jpg

little more

2014-01-28%2018.14.31_zpscsu9tmzp.jpg

You can see the gooseneck hitch that used to be bolted to the frame.    Half thinking about installing it on the dove tail just in case i ever need it.    We'll see

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

that pretty much brings this up to date.

Like I said.....nothing fancy.   But it should do its job just fine

lumpdog

lumpdog
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 17-February 10

Nothing fancy??  A screamin Detroit is a bad ass!!    Can't wait to see it done.

Yup.... I break shit.... and I'm damn good at it... And I do trannies... big or small.... dirty or clean..... I go elbow deep for cheap!

www.IdahoTuffTruck.com www.bowmantransmission.com

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Ha!

Its loud and smokey.....but not fancy.

Im getting pretty excited to drive the thing tho

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Started the day yesterday trying to make a decision on the goose neck hitch.

2014-02-01%2011.07.49_zpsmkk0bawl.jpg

I was thinking it would just be to easy to bolt it in where its at there.  But after looking at it, its just way to low to the ground.   Cant get a perfect measurement since Im working in the dirt but its about 27" off the ground is all.   I could build it up and make it work, which would kill my little cooler mount spot and I dont need the hitch.....So that idea got ditched.

Got a better pic of my hitch and supports and I made a little V gusset.

2014-02-01%2012.07.10_zpsjs5zqema.jpg

The C channel in between will have 4 or 5 bolts thru to mount it it to the semi cross member.    

2014-02-01%2012.48.16_zpsc2zbnfae.jpg

In my opinion, with just that and the subframe resting against the semi frame...it would be plenty strong.   But I wanted to add just a little more strength.

The bottom of the truck frame had the holes drilled thru where the goose neck hitch was mounted.   I figured they would be a good thing to use.    And since I wasnt using the GN hitch anymore.....I just hacked off the side plates where it bolted down and used them for my supports.   Plenty thick and the holes already lined up!

2014-02-01%2015.35.29_zps8phaoufv.jpg

then a couple bolts to attach it to my sub frame and it will be good to go.

After this I was almost out of shielding gas for the welder.   So I did some finish welding til it was gone and I called it a day.

Not a ton of progress but between the cold and the snow yesterday, I was happy to get anything done.  Next I will finish weld the rest of it and start adding the tread plate to sides and the deck.   Wire in some lights after that and then on the next project.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Got a couple pics of the seats and bases

2014-02-01%2011.12.03_zpscqzkqpeq.jpg

2014-02-01%2011.12.28_zpscdhrjylu.jpg

2014-02-01%2011.12.48_zpsll6huhyg.jpg

As you can see.....altho the cab looks friggin massive on the outside, there really isnt a ton of room.   It has a futon type seat in the sleeper which the wife wants to keep.   With the front seats in, I can sit behind them on the futon but it isnt comfy.   So the foot room for the back seat is in the middle of the front seats.   Then the dash has the lame jog out in the center so between those 2 issues...I cant get the  console in there.

I would like to do 2 bucket seats in the sleeper facing eachother to fix this issue.  I think it would be nice but like I said, wife wants the futon.  She likes the idea of sleeping back there while we are driving.   But I will worry about that later.

2014-02-01%2011.11.35_zpsdka4ndzq.jpg

Obviously I have a little work left to do on the bases.   Need to cap the ends and then bolt them to the floor

Jigger

Jigger
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 11-September 11
  • Interests:Killing small animals with high powered rifles.
    Banjo music

Looking good.

big block

big block
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
Slick build, love the 2 stroke detroits, why ditching the goose neck?

I can't wait till spring to got more done on my western star 8v92 toy hauler.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

pretty much because I dont need it.

I wont ever own a GN trailer so its not worth the extra work .

Really the only way it will work is have it mounted where it was on the back of the flat of the flatbed.    With the near 6' behind it of dovetail....it wont work.    I would have to make the dovetail removable which is possible but LOTS more work.

Kinda wish mine was a 8v.   Few more HPs never hurt anyone

big block

big block
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
Ya I'm running a mini fifth wheel, my trucks been singled out, cant decide how far back to put the fifth wheel behind the axle center line if any at all, I know the toterhome rigs do it quite often, I'd like to have a big deck still.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Had the day off work today so I decided to do a little playing with the vulva

With the warmer weather the side of my house is a mud hole.    I had a LOT of finish welding to do underneath.  I wasnt about to lay in the mud so I did some rearranging and backed the truck into the garage.

2014-02-07%2014.47.24_zpsqvaoc1zi.jpg

Its been a couple months since Ive started the truck.     Took a little cranking but it started pretty easy.    I should have took video of it starting!    I will do it one of these days.

Tight fit but it was very very nice to not be in the mud

2014-02-07%2014.49.41_zpsajpvrprl.jpg

Really not a whole lot of pics to show.    I finish welded everything that was tacked on and added some gusseting here and there.    Im pretty sure the thing is going to be stupid strong.

2014-02-07%2019.00.21_zpsvyzjgrqu.jpg

I found these flush mount LEDs at Cal Ranch.   Perfect for this project.   Just had to drill a 1" hole for the wires to go thru and then 4 small holes for the mounts.   I only bought 2 lights but after messing with it, and asking the wife.....we decided we want 2 lights on each side.

2014-02-07%2019.13.14_zpsiirh5gvz.jpg

2014-02-07%2019.19.34_zpsu0kizgpt.jpg

The wife pulled the old stinky carpet out of the cab today.   Tomorrow Im hoping to mess with the diamond plate on the sides of the dovetail and maybe get the seats bolted down.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

This friggin dovetail is taking longer than it should but what do you do I guess.

The last one I built on the F650 I did after my knee surgery and while I was on crutches.  Still dont remember it taking this long.

Using old used metal takes time.   Speaking of which....Im out of the old square tube.   And with just a little more bracing to do, I just used some 1.75" tube I had sitting for bracing.

I was going to do a V instead of the X but I decided the X would provide a little more spread out support for the decking and should do the job
2014-02-08%2017.04.20_zpscun3uk2g.jpg

busted out the old tread plate I bought awhile back for the sides.   Its 1/4".  Im pretty disappointed in how different the pattern is but money was spent so it got cut up and used.   Like Leroy told me.....at 80 mph and the other side of the freeway....you may not even be able to tell.  hahaha

2014-02-08%2017.05.35_zpsypiplxfb.jpg
Lots of welding on these pieces.   They really stiffened the whole dove up tho

2014-02-08%2017.05.12_zpszmvoun1o.jpg

2014-02-08%2017.04.47_zps00mmftx5.jpg

2014-02-08%2017.34.12_zpsfvq2zl06.jpg

This is where I ran out of wire.

2014-02-08%2017.04.31_zpsgjei4f5w.jpg

I was considering doing wood for the decking on the center but Ive decided to just tread plate it as well.   I will have to buy another sheet but just go 1/8" this time around.

So Ive got just a few more pieces of tread plate to install, drill a couple holes, and wire in some lights and a trailer plug and this part of the project will be done

Jigger

Jigger
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 11-September 11
  • Interests:Killing small animals with high powered rifles.
    Banjo music

Looks good. Box in with some checkerplate between your ramps and get some hinges, a latch and a lid, and voila.... you'll have extra storage.

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Wife actually had the same idea yesterday!  

Depending on the camper I get it could be an option.      If the camper has a built in generator I would be all for boxing it in.   If it doesnt, thats where the portable generator will need to ride

ChestonScout

ChestonScout

HAVOCS original BADASS

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

It really stinks just working on this one day a week.    Im ready for the truck to be usable.   But...keep pluggin away when I can and it will get there

Its been raining all week.    The side of my house is stupid soggy.   I tried to get the truck out to work on it in the driveway again.   No luck

2014-02-15%2012.59.55_zpsd0p0j1nh.jpg

Made it about 3' and the front end sunk.   Back tires just spinning.   SO.....I got to work on it in the mud today

I picked up a 4x8 1/8" sheet of diamond plate and dang near used the whole sheet today!  Started with the bottom, then onto the 2 sides.

2014-02-15%2014.16.07_zpsw70h0lsd.jpg

Also cut some filler plates to cover the square tube where I cut the old dove tail off.  

2014-02-15%2017.34.51_zpslvxbwpar.jpg

I forgot to get a pic but I also drilled the holes in the trucks back crossmember and  installed 4 1/2" bolts.    I covered the c channel up that bolts on so I made sure to weld the nuts in place.   The bolts can be removed from the back side pretty easy.

Got all the welding done.....I think.  Have to double check.    Probably should have waited til I could back the truck into the garage again.   My welds turn out better without the wind blowing my shielding gas everywhere.   But like I said......I want it done.

Its supposed to rain all week again and next weekend Im going to AZ for the NHRA National race so I wanted to get a quick coat of primer on.     Ive been tarping my work but water is still creeping in a bit

So heres how its sitting as of now

2014-02-15%2020.45.16_zpsvmrjr2wu.jpg

I picked up some more lights.   Wiring shouldnt be to big of a chore.   Just have to extend what was there.

Also......Got this little gold nugget in the mail

2014-02-14%2021.46.20_zpssm5vhmhz.jpg

It has the service manual for my motor on it!!   Im pretty excited to have this.

MASSIVE THANK YOUS to LUKE!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users