• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LJrce

LJrce

ATV Mod

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Joined 06-August 06

Looking to see what everyone thinks   for best material for 4 link for my suzuki samurai and what size joints do you think 

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

It all depends on axles tires length of link and weight of rig.  Short links under light rigs 2" .250 works well. All links will bend no matter how thick or how big. The thicker the material the easier it is to bend them back. Kevins suzkie son of sam has 2" .250 and I'm sure it will be fine. Rigs loke the bullet or crazy RC run 2" xx on the lower and 1.75xx on the upper. They are heavier rigs with long links and the pipe is cheaper than DOM the yeild is close to the same as DOM so it makes no difference.  Just a reminder if some one tries to talk you into chromolly the yield of chromolly and DOM are the same after 3/16 (.1875)wall. Tensile is way stronger but tensile doesn't come into play when dragging your links over rock  cars or what ever. do not make the mistake of making thin walled links. There is no point. They will fail. 

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
  • Interests:90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton bronco
    96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

Bump, running through upcoming material purchases, and link material is on that list.  I know what size I want/need, but was thinking of all the different grades of material available.  and this idea came to mind:

DISCLAIMER:  *The material would have to be in excellent condition and not worn out*

That out of the way, anyone ever use drill stem (2.5nps xxh, which is 2.875 x .552 or 2nps xxs with is 2.375" od x .446 thk) for link material?  Providing the material is in good shape (this is key, used drill stem can have a lot of wall thickness loss), it's higher strength that 1026 DOM, and readily available (which is key, also makes it a bit cheaper too).  Still pricing my options out, and this made it's way onto the list, and thought I'd post up.

http://www.oilproduc...Data_Tables.pdf

90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton Bronco

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Yeah if you can get it. I made a rolled bumper back in 99 out of  some used drill stem and it has taken a beating. No dents. Just not sure where you get it? I know since the slow down in the patch every out of work welder is making cattle gaurds pens etc.... so it's hard to find. My dad used up all Federal had aquired over 4 years on his portable fencing.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

There's always a few guys on kijiji advertising it, but looking at the different grades of used stem (they rate it on how worn it is from pumping the fluid through it and the outside surface wear)  unless it's like new I'd be best off buying new.

Side note, it would also be great driveshaft material.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

One thing I remember was used stem sometimes was radio active from what it was drilling through. We used to get hung with that once in a while. Not sure about the drive shaft material. If the shaft is going to see rpms it's got to be fairly thin.  Rock crawling slow stuff not a problem.  The vibration from the excess mass gets pretty bad. I think Cory called it critical mass?

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Lots of sizes/thicknesses available (2 nps sch 40 is .154" thk and 2.5 nps sch 40 is .204" thk), for drive shaft material I would only use new material, used would have to much variation in wall thickness and would result in vibrations like you say.

montymbad

montymbad
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

I found some stuff out of Kamloops (well Savona) a while back but it was red stripe which from what I could find was heavily worn.  I did some more digging and all I found was the heavily worn stuff.  I was thinking the same thing about links and such, but they use it till its NFG for anything other than fencing it seems.

PURE FU**** MAYHEM

PURE FU**** MAYHEM
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06
Was just reading red stripe can mean that the tool joint can be toast and the pipe is still good. What u need to find is bent joints. But drill pipe is very megnetic and hard to weld.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

The de-magnetize and your good to go, there are a few ways you can do this, as the material isn't naturally magnetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users