• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

A few years back a friend of mine built a truck called Tiny. He did all of the work himself.  I've helped him out here and there off and on but for the most part it's all been him . It's become pretty well known and it's loved or hated. No in between. It grabs your attention that's for sure. Anyway about a year or two ago he  decided to let me touch it again and it was time to upgrade his trac bars. The current ones were made from PA tractor links. Although they worked and had never failed he was tired of the clanking and sloppy loose ride. (actually he didn't even know he just thought it was time for new ones before the old ones broke)  The tractor links are naturally sloppy and allowed the truck to wobble back and forth which in turn crushed his shocks etc... Time for some EMF rod end magic

First off fit the thing in the shop

IMG_4398.JPG

I usually would cut everything off but Waylon likes his truck the way it is so I worked with it. Re-enforcing the oold braket holes etc..

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

Ordinarily I would use medium or large rod ends on a job like this but Waylon likes to keep the budget on the low and insisted the tractor joints did fine so we used our small 7/8 rod end.

I'll admit I was a little worried. He is running psi diffs and 70" plus tires. Thats a lot of weight to control. But Waylon is pretty stubborn.

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

When we were all done it was time for a test drive so we took it out back and romped through the snow.

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

Kids love this thing

IMG_4458.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

what I should add to this is that Tiny origionally came by because it had a problem with the hydraulic steering.Our shop had installed it a few years back and there was an issue. It would wobble back and forth when under load. It was taken to E-mortal customs where they installed a new pump and "turned" it up. Which resulted in the pump blowing up. Not there fault I guess they just don't know hydraulic steering I guess.

Our approach for diagnosis was to take it to the obstical course out back and see just what exactly was happening. Mainly because Waylon had been fighting this for years and it just made no sense. Anyone who has half a clue about hydraulics knows that a system doesn't just freely flow randomly back and forth because of low pressure in a pump. Something was up. Waylon drove through the course one way and had a big grin on his face, the steering was fine. He was dominating my rocks. Then I had him turn around and head for the basement. I got nervous, he smiled at me and said you look scared you have to be used to how stable this thing is. Then we stopped suddenly. He had to rock it to get through the first pot leading into the basement. We got through that and the steering wheel turned freely with the tires turned straight. Then it came back. He went into the basement and we were done.

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

Perfect opportunity to check the steering. With the tires wedged, Waylon turned the wheel back and forth with a frustrated look on his face staring at me like" see it just steers everywhere"  I jumped up popped the hood and looked at the column. Where the factory column met the hydro column a pin had fallen out and it was rotating freely between the two. I had a hunch that's what it was. Hydro produces enough pressure that a loose fit will hold until a ton of force is added to the wheels. I've seen it at comps a lot when guys weld the columns. It was a quick fix and he was back on his way. I think we figured it took less than 5 minutes to find and fix it. Funny that's all it was after all that time.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

As the story goes Waylon picked his rig up and went wheeling on may long. As always when a customers rig leaves I'm always worried after we've done something. Did we forget anything where the baby rodends enough, did I clearance everything. You know obsessive compulsive type stuff. I avoided the weekend as I normally do because I can't stand all the fucktards on long weekends. Then I saw a post on Facebook. It was a picture of what looked like Waylons truck broken in half. Then all the posts about a link breaking. No one could tell me what broke. I spent the rest of the weekend feeling sick. I new I should have used a bigger rod end. I figured everyone would spread the word the the"unbreakable Tiny" broke because of something I did.

I got a call and Waylon brought the rig back out to EMF. Tiny was all bound up in sort of a ball. The whole front axle left the rig and ripped everything out from under it. All the welds were broken and the steel mounts that held the axle to the suspension curled back. Drive shaft snapped, shocks torn off, brake lines torn apart. The first thing I went for was the Trac bar.

IMG_4761.JPG    That's a soild 1.5 inch link the same thing we use on all of our tie rods and drag links.

Haha the only thing still hold the front end on to the truck was our little baby small 7/8 rod end. Turns out afte everything went to hell in a hand basket the only part that didn't fail and kept the axle atched was that. Even after the diff pulled out of the rig and they winched it back underneath and winched cable around it to put it back on the trailer. The little EMF joint never let go. I guess that's why we use the material we use. Chromolly with a toughness rating out of billet pre heat treated not just "chromolly" forged.

We un did the rod end bolt and removed the diff. Crazy still that that never let go even with the diff flopping around while we unloaded it.

IMG_4763.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

One thing you get used to being a customer at EMF is doing your own work. Since I'm stretched pretty thin it's faster and cheaper for a lot of guys to dissassemble their rigs and prep. It also keeps them in the loop of what's going on. Also I fit fab in where I can it's not a priority. Waylon spent a ton of time with us.

IMG_7460.JPG

since it was apart we checked the trailer hitch link and decided it should have a grease zerk  added since it was rusty as f#ck.

IMG_7461.JPG

Next I decided it would be best if the new one link set up had provisions for caster. While Waylon was happy with the old set up (straight on welded to the axle)   his plans of installing coilovers would mean adjustable ride height. If right height change was possible it means caster will be an issue and with the tires and wheel scrub from the offset of the rims,  caster adjustment is crazy important.

IMG_7466.JPG

Keeping it on the cheap and easy we went with some large EMF builder joints.

IMG_7467.JPG

Once they were attached we tackled the incredibly hard to weld cast housing. Always fun.

IMG_7468.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

going back to this picture I made a mistake. Waylon was working on it but Bryan Foss and Steve Deloyde were helping him. In that picture Bryan was cutting the front fenders and tubes off to make room for EMF style flex that was about to happen. At first Waylon was mad but at this point of my life I've decided I know what has to be done and if the customer wants two conflicting outcomes I'm going to do what needs to be done. Bryan taught me that during this build. Speaking of Bryan he'e another one of those customer turned family/ helps out if I need it kind of guys.

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Back to the "Buckles" 

IMG_7469.JPG

I made wrap around side plates and then baffles between each

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

between the wrap around side plates under the baffles I wraped the housing with segmented plates welding each plate seam at the same time welding the seam to the housing. Wether it flakes off or not doesn't matter because I'm using it as filler to make the wrap around as tight a fit as I could. The weld acts only as a rigid filler.

IMG_7472.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Well that blows I can't find the finished pictures. You can kind of see how they turned out here.

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Funny story. We rushed to get the thing done for Havoc 2013. Helpers came in and took over on Waylons trac bar. We didn't get finished and she sat for almost a year. When I started to work on it again I noticed that the trac bar had been moved to the opposit side. Who cares it doesn't have a steering box right? Kicker was the rear has a trac bar mounted that same way. Most people wouldn't care nut personally I won't allow it. The front and rear have to oppose to prevent the suspension from opening up and unloading when you turn the one way. I had to cut iot all off and start over. I was told it wouldn't matter and that it would be okay because the rig doesn't drive fast.

IMG_4148.JPG

People say flexing rigs with forklifts is gay.  Sure it is but we're not flexing as posers we're checking clearances. Making sure shocks don't connct with anything and that the tires clear the fame, the 1 link and the hood. Also to see if it's stable or tippy etc. I spend days doing this.

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

A full compression test to make sure the final bump allowed everything to clear and to make sure the suspension didn't kick to the side

IMG_4162.JPG

Ride height.  This was tricky because we were limited to the length of our trac bar. The tires are so huge and the axles turn  so sharp that a long trac bar would interfear with full lock to lock. Since I wasn't allowed to hinder any ability of any part, placing the short trac bar perfectly was a must.  In this picture the massive piece of metal attached to the axle housing that the trac bar mount is placed on is the finished "buckle" keep in mind I was to do the fab work and keep with the home built look of the rig.

IMG_4163.JPG

After it was cut off and shifted over I dropped a lucky penny into the mount and sealed it in. A little tradition I've done with every rig I've ever worked on.

IMG_4164.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

air bump placement. More winching the frame and diff together and flexing side to side on the forklift to make sure everything cleared and connected the way it needed to.

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

The final bump. Put in so when the air bumps can't handle it or your shocks break you can keep on keepin on without worrying about crushing something underneath or bending frame rails. My main concern is always hitting the crank.

I shunk this one into the tube to gain a little  more room. Waylon was worrid the truck was sitting too high.

IMG_4172.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

IMG_4174.JPG

Time for the rear

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

More clearance checking

IMG_4294.JPG

I'm missing a lot of pictures. The rear came together in a day or two and worked awesome.

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

Turned out even after we cut all the tube work and fenders off it flexed so much now the we had to cut more of the hood out.

IMG_4298.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

My favorite part the TINY gusset up the trac bar mount

IMG_4299.JPG

And on to the interior cage so he could pass tech

First on my list was removing the seat belt bar mounts

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

And install the new one

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

and make a tight fitting A-pillar. Getting in and out is enough of a bitch without tubes in your way

IMG_4202.JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

I was really happy with the dash bar. It was tight the whole way sticking with dash evenly from side to side.

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

I can't find anymore pictures. Too bad because the corbeas and 5 point seat belts looked so good. When it was finished it was beautiful.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
  • Interests:90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton bronco
    96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

Its crazy how stable, and how well it worked at havoc this year, even with the old motor/power train still in it.

90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton Bronco
96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users