my little ranger

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Well... i have been playing around with this ranger that i got from a guy off this site.

I picked it up as a huge learning process, figuring out everything and testing/tuning...

With it being my first 4 link vehicle... it was a great learning experience.

ill be posting pics through the next few days and be showing the progress and build.

Ill be explaining the problems that i came across and how i managed to figure it out or had members and friends help me out.

The project is a ranger cab. 4 link front and rear. double triangulated.

434/th400/atlas 2speed. Dana 60 front and rear. 4:88 Gears, Grizzly locker front. Spool rear. 1.5" 35spline axles. 16" foa front and 14" rear.

Full hydro.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

This is what i was welcomed with when i showed up. IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0042.JPG

it came with some dom tubing to help me locate the axles under the rig. It came with Rod ends and some guages and some shocks and well quite a bit for what i paid. Thanks A lot !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0044.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Because the previous owner ran a ford power plant and drive train i had to cut out the engine mount and tranny mounts and make my own stuff. The best part about being a country boy is having tons of spare parts laying around. Well this is the mock up of the motor. I was playing around with the idea of putting nylon/poly motor mounts but i seen some rigs at hard grass havoc running solid mounts so i wanted to see how it played out.IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG

After getting the motor welded in and setup to what i figured was an acceptable angle for vertical, i started with the tranny mount.

keep in mind that everything i used was off the frame and i just made it work because i wanted this to be as budget build as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0052.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

So i got the tranny and tcase mounted up and you can see here that the 4 link rear portion of the cradle was cut off. i dont have any pics of me reinstalling it but it was fun. ratchet strapped it in and heated it to bend everything back into place. worked out quite well actually. I wanted to keep the tcase as flat as possible but with running a cradle that hung down i opted to a different setup further on in the build.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0053.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

well here i just opted with the standard psc hydro setup... i wasnt very impressed with the cost of the ram mount considering its 3 tubes and a couple plates...IMG_3344.JPG oh well... got it welded in and setup. My first ram mount setup and i wasnt to sure on height position and such. i didnt plan on running high steer setup at first for cost reasons... but well touch up on that a little later. Give me as much criticism as you can. Best way to learn right !  Dont have anymore pics of doing the front...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3341.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

I dont have any pics of setting up the 4 link  on the diffs or shock mounts but i have a few pics of it setting at ride height. IMG_3856.JPG

I then mounted the rad in the rear. What i used to connect supply fluid from front to back was dom tubbing and flex hose. i got a supply from brink and then sourced some locally. To make sure the rad wasnt getting any vibrations, i mounted it on rubber. its running to fans as well. see if i can find some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3352.JPG
  • IMG_3354.JPG
  • IMG_3360.JPG
  • IMG_0222.jpg

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

i dont know how to turn the pictures the right way... anyhow in this setup i didnt like the shock position prior to it and i wanted to get a little more flex. so i cut the frame in half and hoisted the diff to what i wanted to have as a final flex. i did a few calculations and well I was happy with it. So i built some haggard shock hoops. tacked everything in place and cycled the suspension. After talking with skipped link, and twister they helped me determine length on my links so my pinion angle wouldnt change drastically through out the cycle of my suspension.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0181.JPG
  • IMG_0184.JPG
  • IMG_0185.JPG
  • IMG_3350.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Then i boxed in the frame to clear the coilovers and plated it in as well... i didn't want this to be to weak either. its in front of the engine and also has tube to support it but i didn't wanna take any chances.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0215.JPG
  • IMG_0221.jpg

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG that is ride height After finishing my frame mod... i got started on mounting the new motor and the res mount for my hydro setup. its almost directly over top of the pump so it has the best possible supply and zero restrictions. Also you can see the front diff.... i built my truss and ram mount and decided to go with a high steer setup. i sourced the arms from brink and got a great deal.IMG_1083.JPG this is the motor. 434 stroker.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0189.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

after finishing off the suspension and motor and tranny and all that other jazz... i flanged up a harness bar for my seats... nothing crazy... pretty simple. bolts down to the frame and welded as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0065.JPG
  • IMG_0066.JPG
  • IMG_0067.JPG
  • IMG_0068.JPG
  • IMG_0069.JPG
  • IMG_0070.JPG

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

welll.... im sure i have a few pictures laying around but this is a walk around of the truck. I did my own wiring and made my own hoses for hydro stuff. got custom brake lines made. When i started the truck the fast efi system was shit... throwing codes and just very inconsistent. I talked with ed,denver,dan... and a few others and they helped me out as much as they could. end result pretty happy. ive only done a few little trips around the block and some light wheeling flexing it out on the loader. I need to adjust my shifter linkage... changed hose clamps on my coolant lines and bleed brakes. hopefully get out this time off and go for a ride with the misses.

Attached Files

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

just some pictures of final flex and fooling around. Please guys. give me as much criticism as possible ! ask anything ! I have a huge passion for fab and i wanna keep learning ! thanks alot !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0260.jpg
  • 1A80E6D2-D5C5-4607-A73E-B90E2F9CD541.jpg

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
  • Interests:90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton bronco
    96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

Criticism .. . . an LS?  I was all excited when you said a 434, then the woody went away when I kept reading, lol, just giving you a hard time.

On the motor mounts, majority of solid engine mounts are done via a mid plate with front plate (mine has both, plus tied in with the factory engine mounts, but my engine block is being used in the power range where block flex/core shift is a big problem and I need all the help I can get) or bracing.  With everything they mount too being very stiff, frame/chassis flex is very bad/hard on engine blocks & tranny case's.  If you ever get the chance, I'd consider building a mid plate, as the factory mounts aren't very good for resisting torque flex of the powertrain due to being so close to centerline of the powertrain (make sense?).  Same goes with the tranny/t-case mount,  I couldn't quite see it (I do see a bushing on the t-case output though), but that is also solid mounted, if not, everything needs to be.  The chassis flex has the same effect here, excessive chassis flex can case issues with the case on both the tranny and t-case.  Also, if one part or the other starts moving/flexing (ie loose tranny mount causing the t-case/tranny to move can result in a cracked bellhousing)  it will have effects up or downstream of the problem.  That said, if you ever find cracked welds or chassis bits around your powertrain mounts, something is flexing/moving that shouldn't be.

Just a recommendation is all, I'm a little paranoid with solid mounted powertrains, partly because of my setup and the fact I'm running power levels well beyond what my parts were ever meant for (as I said I'm at the point with the engine block & tranny housing that I need to compensate for block & housing flex), and partly because I've seen a lot of cracked bellhousings.

90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton Bronco

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
I'm not aware of a mid plate.... Care to enlighten it show some pics ?

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Here's a picture of mine, this is a front & mid plate, mid plate replaces the shield that bolts up between the bellhousing and block.  Mine is 3/16thick (this was how thick the scattershield plate it replaced was).  You should be able to buy a mid plate for your engine as well.  Front plate is un finished in this picture and I still have a few things to do to it.

471924_10151654445050282_1738019099_o.jp

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
What are you doing about your water pump and lining up all the pullies ? Also, my tcase is solid mounted as well as my tranny. What does it replace on the granny side ? My bell housing is a one piece ?

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

EDIT, wrong thread.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
Would you be able to put those in the "steering" section Cody ? Those are for when clay built
My track bar and such

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

fixed, sorry bout that.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

cool build. The only thing I see is your steering ram mount. I normally put a diagonal brace in there to prevent the mount from turning into a parallelogram if you pound one side hard. Shouldn't really be a concern though those psc clamps will pop off before that happens. :sarcastic: Just kidding. It is something I think about when I build though. Not as important if it's tight to the diff since there is less leverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users