• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Ran into this picture and it was exactly when I side the piston on the ram rod ans stretched the rear passenger knuckle. I had no stop then I just relied on the ram.

Since then I make it a point to build plate stops. It helps prevent major damage to your ram, ram clamps or tie rod, steering box knuckles axles etc.

warthog booboo.jpg

It over extended it so bad here we needed the winch to pull the wheels straight after the buggy landed. This was KOH  in 2009 when I was practicing for the LCQ  on the back door

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

OG 23

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 21-February 10

Aaaah this is one of my favorite topics, one in which I have had many arguments with people about!

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

super super important to get he bump stop to stop the wheels  when the steering box stops. This takes any stress off the frame ie dodge trucks. It also prevents a steering box from cratering. Such as a broken sector shaft. This only happens when the steering is dead ended with the steering arm bottoming the gears out inside the box. Many arguments have been made that the weak steering box just let go gently wheeling down the trail. This can happen. However the shaft was fractured previously and can hold on for a long time just letting go later on.

Once you move into hydro assist the ram should match the throw of the box which should already match the motion of the knuckles from stop to stop.  Once again if the stroke is greater than the distance the knuckles can travel when the ram bottoms out and pushes the ball joints/ king pins apart. At which point you'll bitch about how crappy your ball joints are. Also it will flex the center section and possibly warp it. On diffs with casted centers such as 60's this creates different pre load on the side bearings leading to gear failure.

Full hydro is a bit easier match the ram stroke to the desired degree you'd like to see out of you knuckles lock to lock. Obviously without binding the axle u joint.

A simple bolt won't work. You need to actually make something that can handle a hit. I've seen the bolt style flatten beyond recognition.  Keep in mind that even if you think the ram is doing the job if a joint, arm link etc... let go and that knuckle flops out the stops will prevent hyper extension which again leads to stretched inner C's wrecked inner and outer shafts broken knuckles etc....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users