Photo

Military Trailer build

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
So I picked up this little trailer last fall for dirt cheap... couldn't pass it up. It'd been bastardized with a 1 7/8" ball instead of the pintle, someone cut their own version of a tailgate into it, it's got 3 layers of different colored paint, and I'm not sure if it came with a hand brake... but there's none there now. LOL

Posted Image

The plan is to convert it back to pintle, sling some XMLs on a 14 bolt axle under (spring over), make her dump capable, and paint 'er up.

Couple shots;

Donor axle
Posted Image

XMLs and cut down box liner
Posted Image

Run flats cut out of the XMLs (what a PITA!)
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
So started taking 'er apart.

Pulled the axle shaft
Posted Image

Snap ring, keyway, locking nut, then hub & drum assembly
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shoe assembly
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Posted Image

Backing plate
Posted Image

Stripped all old brackets
Posted Image

At this point the logical step would have been to flip the axle and repeat on the other side.... well this pig is still a heavy biatch with all this off, so I skipped a step to make it a little easier to handle

Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Had to shuffle things around to keep the trailer level

Posted Image

drained some more oil
Posted Image

Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Disassembled, cleaned off, and cut off the 2nd axle tube. Cut the flanges off the axle shafts

Posted Image

Wheels and tires mounted
Posted Image

Hubs separated from the drums
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,641 posts
Those trailers are so sweet. I gotta ask is that just tube running around the top or a rolled lip?

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Those trailers are so sweet. I gotta ask is that just tube running around the top or a rolled lip?

Tubing with the lip rolled over and welded... I might cut it out and replace with square tube.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Started on the axle sleeve and "filler" pieces today. Stated by measuring inside tire to inside tire of the current setup. Then mocked up both 14 bolt pieces and measured what they came out to;

Posted Image

after some more measurements, and some headscratching I went out and got some tubing and a couple other pieces
Posted Image

The filler piece is 2" inside, 3.5" out... it'll be machined to match the 2.25"ID 3.375"OD of the axle tubing.

Buddy at PA gave me the wrong springs... I checked the part #s when I got home... so another trip for another day.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Spent some time down home the weekend at a buddy's shop;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to leave at that point... but he said it was probably 5 passes to weld 'er up. More to come
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Started with this
Posted Image

and got this
Posted Image

I know the crossmember placement looks a little funny, but I'm making it to match what's already under the trailer. I did add the gussets behind the front most corssmemeber. In hindsight I should have cut those in half and added a pair at the back.

Getting fancy with my 1st fab project
Posted Image

Axle with welds ground down, wire wheeled, primed, painted and spring perches burned in.
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Degreased, sanded and wiped with grease and wax remover. While waiting for the G&W remover to dry, I mocked up the axle

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then primer.

Posted Image

Yeah, the primer's a little pre-mature. I still need to weld on a couple of gusetts, hinges, safety chain loop, and a couple other odds and ends. I need more material and have to wait for payday... so I decided to prep and prime. Not a waste... I'll just have to touch up later.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Hinges and more gussets
Posted Image

Box guides/ holders
Posted Image

Ok, I know this is a little weird, but I wanted to drop some, and now I can go from pintle to ball if I want
Posted Image

My stepdad told me this corner of a trailer sees the most stress, so more gussets it is!
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
I'm running oil in the axle to lube the bearings, so added a Trail Gear bellows to allow for expansion
Posted Image

Paint bottom
Posted Image

Paint top
Posted Image

Started tearing appart the "donor" trailer
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
springs and axle

Posted Image

hubs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the fluid film under and over the springs.

Mmm, overkill. 8-)
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Tires are on!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This excitement reminds me of everytime I've had new, bigger tires on the Jeep. ;D ;D ;D I just have to look at it and I smile. ;D ;D ;D ;D
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 245 posts
Took her out to help the paint cure. Rolled nice and cleared a milk crate for fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:) I checked and she's got 18" clearance under the axle.
2003 Jeep TJ

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,641 posts
That's looking great ! Nice work. I love those Trail Gear bellows. I have them everywhere on my buggy. No stupid hoses, no leaking, no water .

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 998 posts
Nice trailer. Make the frame rails an air tank, and put a place for a water tank, buy one of those hot water propane things and have a mobile shower. Put in an umbrella and make money.

One question, did you look into using a torsen axle for the clearance ability?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users