Heep-A-Lop

REcTal Itch???????

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 10-August 06
  • Interests:MUD,MUD, GREY GOOSE, JEEP
its funny we went out and threw some tanks on it tonight .... it will be back
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Heep-A-Lop (12/20/06 11:16 am) -- no sense of humour with the nazi regime........

1989 Jeep XJ Black HEEP-A-LOP
Ford HP D44 front / Ford 8.8 Rear
sbc 350/700r4/231c

BIRD HOUSE BUILT IN

Cardomain Website
Bucket O' Photos
Webshots

Got Ruts?

Got Ruts?
  • Members
  • 458 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
Thats what i like to hear!

trav

trav
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06
clay
if you need a full time driver for the warthog this summer, let me know. MORE than happy to help you out. :yahoo:

i have been practicing with my 1/6 and my 1/10 scale warthogs, and i must say i'm getting pretty good with them. so how much harder could it be to drive the 1:1 Warthog, right

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
Hahaha yeah. Actually not that hard. It's surprisingly easy to drive. Some day when it's running you should come by and I'll let you drive it.

trav

trav
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06
are you kidding?
holy shit, talk about dreams coming true.
i will do that if i end up in the calgary area some time.

will bring in my two rc's as well for you to see/play/drive

later

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
sounds good

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Well it's finally time to wake up the monster. I've had a few years to drive many different types of rigs and experience the different forms of power. From full blown alcohol monster trucks to rock solid diesels. I've fondly landed on the decision that a well built solid 650/700 hp big block is more than enough to make the old warthog a thing to be recond with again. I mean 1500 hp would be awesome but I like to drive on my doors and roof. A nice diesel would be cool but I like sky wheelies.

I've never been much of a motor guy but after all the machining and fitting I do I figured it was time to learn. So my friend Barry has figured out what would best suit my special needs and is teaching me how to assemble my first motor. It's pretty exciting but time consuming. 

Heres the start. A freshly machined block. Machined by another friend Curtis Halverson. A master engine builder and for a time, the builder of the worlds fastest duramax in a streamliner called the moarman missile 

IMG_9674.JPG

the freshly machined splayed 4 bolt main block. Anything we can do to try and keep this thing together. Everyone knows I don't look at my gauges when I drive. I just listen for bad vibrations. It takes a lot to keep an engine alive with me behind the wheel. The first thing Barry made me do was de burr the engine. What the hell does that do? Well after pulling and reinstalling motors time and time again in a hurry at events you learn motors have many sharp points that hurt. Especially when your hands are tired or cold or your hand is squished or theres a hard to get bolt. It makes working around the engine more pleasant. These are little things one does.Every seam every corner has to be smooth.  Then re tapping every hole. Because it's always a pain in the ass when the motor is installed and you try to mount something and find out a hole is striped.

IMG_9699.JPG

the threaded frost plugs, not as easy as you would think to do. It took us almost a day and two taps. Actually it took more than a day. It was a severe pain in the ass. Why would we do it? So I don't loose a plug at an in oppertune time. And if I'm not mistaken it helps make the block just a tiny little bit more rigid.  

IMG_9700.JPG

did I say how much of a pain in the ass this was to tap ? seriously but it's a trade mark of Barrys. And the last time Barry built me a motor he changed how people thought of propane. It ran three seasons,was at top truck twice, where it changed the view of drive safe to win, to balls to the wall takes it all and was  in the koh lcq with a very respectable finish 12th or 13th out out 70 some odd rigs back when you had to be fast to race in the main event not just pay your way. Not to mention it was and still is the largest rig to have ever run the lcq. So if Barry tells me I need to do something I just grin and do it. 

IMG_9701.JPG

My eagle crank. There's better out there but this monster is on a budget. It's neat to see all these bought motors. Big power and impressive. However for a poor person like myself it's interesting to see someone actually make power out of older parts. This crank took me almost a year to pay for, maybe two, I've lost count. It's a forged 4140 496 stroker crank. It and my pistons came balanced but Barry wanted to make sure, so he took it to another old friend of ours Pierre Guyon. He rebalanced evey thing properly. When you start getting into this stuff you start understanding why some engines explode and why some engines produce more power than others with the same parts. All this and I'm only at the frost plugs. 

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
  • Interests:90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton bronco
    96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

I know its still early on, but any dyno plans?

90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton Bronco
96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

CHEMMINS

CHEMMINS
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 12-February 10

What trans are ya planning on? I know a guy who can build ya a beast of a trans. That is one place where I won't touch. Transmissions need people with a gift.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
I'm sticking with my powerglide. It's the only tranny that still moves with a loss of pressure and we've figured out how to make the bearings last. It'll also have straight cut gears to lesson the blow of forward reverse. Barry hopefully will teach me about that as well. Glides from what I'm told are fairly easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)