making a steering axle for the rear.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10
okay guys, I'm picking up a project that clay built a long time ago. March 2005. I'm going to be putting my 49's on it with the 8.1 vortex. The questions i have are; I'm putting my Dana 70 in the rear because it is already centered. How hard would it be to make the axle that is in the rear, a passenger side diff front axle? Where could i get this done. Also what kinda shafts should i use? Are the rcv shafts any good? Clay, can you make shafts that are bullet proof? would i be able to expand my housing, but in bigger axle tubes, then put in bigger axle shafts? Let me know. Also, does anyone know where i can get a ecu for my 8.1 vortex? and what kinda rads to use? thanks alot

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,810 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
What project? As far as a rear steer diff I've heard the rcv axles are the old longfields and that's what they run in the titan. I'm missing what you want. You want to run the centerd diff with steribng knuckles right?

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Call griffin for the rad
http://www.google.ca...ZGF_FCg&cad=rja

RCV for the axles.
http://www.google.ca...-GelOZw&cad=rja

Look for a guy named Wayne Hartwig for the computer
http://www.google.ca...tJTzFbQ&cad=rja

Solid industries for the knuckles and outers for the steering.
http://www.solidaxle...sp?idCategory=8

Evolution for putting it together. 403-935-3540

Read about a product called a Jana 76 and a Jana 87. You put a dana 80 ring and pinion in a 70 housing.

Your 70 is gonna have 35 spline shafts, so RCV will easily be able to make anything you want, they are extremely strong and the customer service is unlike anything I have ever seen.
Griffin rads make a custom rad and fan setup for about $600.
Solid industries knuckles are super tough and Evolution machine can get you anything for the steering. (you're gonna need full hydro)
Wayne is easy to deal with and is really good at making what you want in a computer, to happen.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

What project? As far as a rear steer diff I've heard the rcv axles are the old longfields and that's what they run in the titan. I'm missing what you want. You want to run the centerd diff with steribng knuckles right?

I dont know if you remember it. But the guy im buying it off, said you did the 4 link system for him. What i wanna do, is move the rear axle to front of the truck. The guy said that the diff was machined out to accept dana 70 shafts, and its only a dana 60 housing. So i wanna get the axle made to be a passanger side drop.

photo(2).JPG

photo(3).JPG

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,810 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
wow good to see that thing go to a good home. What tires are you running on it the 49's?

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Just buy a regular dana 60 pass drop axle. Making an axle is a pain in the ass. put your stuff in it and go to town.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Just buy a regular dana 60 pass drop axle. Making an axle is a pain in the ass. put your stuff in it and go to town.

i have ran lots of 60s and they dont seem to stand up to even 44's, im ruuning a 496 bbc and 49s i think i need something a little more heavy duty, whats your opinion on that?

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Honestly, you sound like you're putting some money in it...

For the strength... a front rockwell is sounding like its what you're running for.

A set of steer rocks can be easily had for 3k.

Add in steering for both and you can add 1800.

then brakes for 1200 +/-

So for less than a steering 60, custom built, you can have a set of rocks.

But it all depends on the budget.

Meritor 106's are good axles, they are rockwells in a front loader application, a little lower, but they are still strong.

The 2.5 ton rockwell has many upgrade parts, so really thats an easy one, but usually , once you do bigblock and 44+ tires, you're in rockwell territory.

Many guys make 60's survive. but the weak link is usually the rig gear after you do a blinging set of axles and joints.

Really, with the amount of custom applications for axles, and a little higher than rockwell budget... I would build a set of dana 80 diffs, shave them 1/2" and put in RCV shafts.

You'd have to broach the locker side gears to fit the 35 spline, or you could easily step up a few hundred dollars and go with a set of 2" shafts.

2" RCV's are 1.5x the price.
a dana 80 is usually junkyard - 300
dana 60 kingpin knuckles from reid 800 x 2

Really, you should do some reading on the pro's and cons of the axles, and maybe see what pros and cons are for your application. But if you would like someone else to make the decision...

Buy a set of re-man axles from boyce or 100 dollarman.

Buy a set of the cromo 16 spline axles from overson and some detroits.

Steering can cheaply be supplied by Evolution by way of a PSC F/R 10" ram kit

Brakes are supplied by Evo. They have a kit thats really easy to do and takes the F*&$% around out of it.

A set of wheels are easy to make. Outer beadlocks... or inner air locks.

And go with Evo ball sockets for the steering...

Im not part of Evo, but you're here; so support a good business that will save you money.

Edit*** I am sponsored by RCV, so if you decide to go that way, I can maybe save you a bit of coin.

What is it you have, then let me know what you want, and I can dig a little and give a bit of an opinion on what you might want.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Honestly, you sound like you're putting some money in it...

For the strength... a front rockwell is sounding like its what you're running for.

A set of steer rocks can be easily had for 3k.

Add in steering for both and you can add 1800.

then brakes for 1200 +/-

So for less than a steering 60, custom built, you can have a set of rocks.

But it all depends on the budget.

Meritor 106's are good axles, they are rockwells in a front loader application, a little lower, but they are still strong.

The 2.5 ton rockwell has many upgrade parts, so really thats an easy one, but usually , once you do bigblock and 44+ tires, you're in rockwell territory.

Many guys make 60's survive. but the weak link is usually the rig gear after you do a blinging set of axles and joints.

Really, with the amount of custom applications for axles, and a little higher than rockwell budget... I would build a set of dana 80 diffs, shave them 1/2" and put in RCV shafts.

You'd have to broach the locker side gears to fit the 35 spline, or you could easily step up a few hundred dollars and go with a set of 2" shafts.

2" RCV's are 1.5x the price.
a dana 80 is usually junkyard - 300
dana 60 kingpin knuckles from reid 800 x 2

Really, you should do some reading on the pro's and cons of the axles, and maybe see what pros and cons are for your application. But if you would like someone else to make the decision...

Buy a set of re-man axles from boyce or 100 dollarman.

Buy a set of the cromo 16 spline axles from overson and some detroits.

Steering can cheaply be supplied by Evolution by way of a PSC F/R 10" ram kit

Brakes are supplied by Evo. They have a kit thats really easy to do and takes the F*&$% around out of it.

A set of wheels are easy to make. Outer beadlocks... or inner air locks.

And go with Evo ball sockets for the steering...

Im not part of Evo, but you're here; so support a good business that will save you money.

Edit*** I am sponsored by RCV, so if you decide to go that way, I can maybe save you a bit of coin.

What is it you have, then let me know what you want, and I can dig a little and give a bit of an opinion on what you might want.

what i have is 2 dana 70's hd. The front has a true-trac locker in it 5:13 gears. The rear is open, just trying to decide what to do before i start throwing my money at stuff.

Would i be able to put the 2 inch shafts in my 70 hd diffs? i read the forum on the jana87 and everything seems quite straight forward. The only downfall to this is, I dont live anywere that will be able to do this kinda machining. thanks alot

Thanks for the info on the pcm. Im speaking with wayne as we speak.

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Okay, a dana 70 rear? or a dana 60 rear that has the spindles machined for the 35 spline axles?

The Jana 87 conversion is easy as piss.

The guy on pirate, what ever his name is is really easy to deal with and a pretty nice guy, so because of your location, you are gonna be able to make it happen either through him sending you the specs to give to a machine shop or to send stuff to him and send it back.

The 2" shafts will not go in the 70 carrier. The ID of the carrier bearing is somewhere around 2.125... so there would not be enough material left after thinning them.

The RCV shafts are pretty stout, but they are at their max with a big block and 44's... so threat that as you will. They have a great warranty, but f/r steer is sometimes more trouble than it is worth.... I am gonna say that you will probably be replacing a cage in the bell every 2 years... safe bet.

Valemount is not that far away. I know there is a machinist in Edmonton that can do the work, definately one in Red Deer and guaranteed in Calgary.

Basically, I'd say to do this.

Do the Jana 87 swap front and rear. its money well spent.

Do one set of steering RCV's. Build the front axle you have.

Install a detroit for the front.

Install cutting brakes for the rear.

Make sure you have a t case that can disengage the front/rear.

this way, you will have a good solid front steering axle. cutting brakes will help in the turning radius and the beefed up rear axle will be super strong. Rear steering axles are fugging expensive so you can save up for one... or if you decide, depending on the terrain you drive on, you can ditch the idea all together.

Making sure you have as little scrub radius as possible is important for sharp steering too. But I can explain that later if you like.

You can give me a call if you like as well... but again, all you are getting is someones opinion. Whats truely right for you will only be found through trial and error.

Denver

403 --- five o five ---- three three six eight.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Okay, a dana 70 rear? or a dana 60 rear that has the spindles machined for the 35 spline axles?

The Jana 87 conversion is easy as piss.

The guy on pirate, what ever his name is is really easy to deal with and a pretty nice guy, so because of your location, you are gonna be able to make it happen either through him sending you the specs to give to a machine shop or to send stuff to him and send it back.

The 2" shafts will not go in the 70 carrier. The ID of the carrier bearing is somewhere around 2.125... so there would not be enough material left after thinning them.

The RCV shafts are pretty stout, but they are at their max with a big block and 44's... so threat that as you will. They have a great warranty, but f/r steer is sometimes more trouble than it is worth.... I am gonna say that you will probably be replacing a cage in the bell every 2 years... safe bet.

Valemount is not that far away. I know there is a machinist in Edmonton that can do the work, definately one in Red Deer and guaranteed in Calgary.

Basically, I'd say to do this.

Do the Jana 87 swap front and rear. its money well spent.

Do one set of steering RCV's. Build the front axle you have.

Install a detroit for the front.

Install cutting brakes for the rear.

Make sure you have a t case that can disengage the front/rear.

this way, you will have a good solid front steering axle. cutting brakes will help in the turning radius and the beefed up rear axle will be super strong. Rear steering axles are fugging expensive so you can save up for one... or if you decide, depending on the terrain you drive on, you can ditch the idea all together.

Making sure you have as little scrub radius as possible is important for sharp steering too. But I can explain that later if you like.

You can give me a call if you like as well... but again, all you are getting is someones opinion. Whats truely right for you will only be found through trial and error.

Denver

403 --- five o five ---- three three six eight.

Denver, this is what i have figured out. Thanks to you. I wanna run a jana 87 in the front. Then i wanna do the dana 80 in the rear and build it to accept 2" shafts. This way i can drive it non-steer and figure out if i need it or not. What is breaching ?

Clay, Will you guys be able to do the machining for me to make a jana 87 ?

As for the brakes on the rear ill run a locker and a pinion brake.

How does that sound ?

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
nope.

The dana 80 is a standard case diff. The rear brakes are easy peasy. I think ruffstuff has a plate for a rear disc kit. Bolt on a set of $30 calipers from an 86 chevy application. Put in some pads for $20.

Machining the 80 is actually easy, its making the side gears work and the spindle boring.

If you want cheap and easy on that, get ahold of that wayne hartwig, ask him if he can set you up with Tim (tech tim) and see if they can EDM you a dana 80 spool.

I am not sure if they are able to do a spool in 2" but I seem to remember they did a 1.865" in a 38 spline. or something like that. Spider trax, branik and RCV can make 2" shafts and a flange for the drive axle.

Remember though, a dana 80 is fucking huge. You might want to wait on the 2" shafts until you blow one up.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

nope.

The dana 80 is a standard case diff. The rear brakes are easy peasy. I think ruffstuff has a plate for a rear disc kit. Bolt on a set of $30 calipers from an 86 chevy application. Put in some pads for $20.

Machining the 80 is actually easy, its making the side gears work and the spindle boring.

If you want cheap and easy on that, get ahold of that wayne hartwig, ask him if he can set you up with Tim (tech tim) and see if they can EDM you a dana 80 spool.

I am not sure if they are able to do a spool in 2" but I seem to remember they did a 1.865" in a 38 spline. or something like that. Spider trax, branik and RCV can make 2" shafts and a flange for the drive axle.

Remember though, a dana 80 is fucking huge. You might want to wait on the 2" shafts until you blow one up.

okay that sounds good. You said you could pick up a dana 80 housing for a 300. Where abouts? If i can get ahold of the parts i can assemble the axle my self, just cant do any machining. Thanks for all your input.

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
try a wrecker. I dont know. Maybe they're more...?

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

try a wrecker. I dont know. Maybe they're more...?

you figure just any dana 80 housing?

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Mostly. But most are a dually, so you'll need to do some work.

I would call Wayne, get ahold of Tim Lund and see what he can make work for you. you will be miles ahead and dollars behind. he's the guy broaching and cutting side gears for 40 spline axles.

blazin_yota123

blazin_yota123
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 16-December 10

Mostly. But most are a dually, so you'll need to do some work.

I would call Wayne, get ahold of Tim Lund and see what he can make work for you. you will be miles ahead and dollars behind. he's the guy broaching and cutting side gears for 40 spline axles.

alright man thanks alot.

wahlstrom1

wahlstrom1

U.A. 2010! Bent and broke....

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
If it helps, most standard tranny cummins trucks come with a d80 rear, atleast in the second gen.
Ranger - Work In Progress

Petersons U.A. 2010, Helluva trip

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Joined 13-November 06
Call these guys.

http://www.kickassoffroad.com/

Everything you need for this.

Soup Man

Soup Man