96' Ranger: kings, EMF parts, 800hp SBF

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
  • Interests:90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton bronco
So the frame will be getting boxed in front to rear, with stiffeners at every mount and then every 8-10". the factory crossmembers will be welded out solid, and a couple extras added to keep the frame nice and stiff. the engine plates still have a bit to go with some cross bracing to be added, the mouns on the frame will be reinforced, but i need to get a few other things done to ensure i have room for everything. The front axle centerline will be moved to just behind or even with the front of the frame.

Lots more to do.
90' C350 AKA 4 door 1 ton Bronco

Bushluver

Bushluver
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06
Nice - finally making some headway.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
Couple more pictures, first couple are mock up's with the heads on it and is when i decided to chop the front frame, then the others are of when i chopped the frame:

Posted Image

Posted Image

[imgh]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536305_10151685935420282_786780281_24392841_1393059902_n.jpg[/img]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
Looks like someones been working their but off wow. I love that intake.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
Yeah it was a busy 3 and half days that was for sure, but still lots to go, just need to make time for it so I can get it going this year.

That's a hogan's sheet metal intake, picked it up off of racingjunk.com, the Yates heads I'm using use their own bolt pattern and as such kills intake selection to just a few edelbrock units or custom sheetmetal intakes.

That said this motor should scream, the Yates heads with Jessel rail rockers, titiaum valves and components, solid roller cam, that intake and a couple 650cfm quickfuels. I can barely wait.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
me either this thing should be nasty.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
So I got a little curious about the factory tailhousing on that tranny that came with the tranny, it just didn't have the feeling of cast iron, so I thought I'd test it and find out as I have acess to a fancy little gun that can tell me material composition :D, and came up as 97.54% Fe (+/- 0.73), 0.33 Cu (+/- 0.13), 0.94 Mn (+/- 0.20), and 0.25 Cr (+/- 0.09). Basically cast steel, and not cast iron, and looks like its a good quality steel, but the quality of the casting is a hard one to determine till i get to playing with it. Anyway, the orginal plan was to have an adapter built, but then I got to looking at things like frame width and tcase width and discovered the two won't fit without a lot of frame mods. So I figured I would go with a divorced setup which while it'll work, it leaves the rear dshaft fairly short which will be a high wear point with breakage in the future. So I got back to looking and decided I can compromise with the tcase rotated down, which prompted me to test the case to see what kind of material it is.

So the plan is to cut the tailhousing to the required length, build a flange for the face of the transfercase, splice the two two together, then build outward from the flange face to the face that bolts to the tranny and stiffen everything as much as possible.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
so it's weldable. your tool is it a spectrometer?

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
Yeah what I used is called a PMI (positive material identification) gun, uses a radioactive isotope of some sorts to determine material composition, it has a database of materials it compares items to, there is some error in the readings and it doesn't show carbon content, but the carbon can be figured out and the error needs to be taken with a grain of salt (how clean is the material, etc). Plus the other elements present in the readings do not match up with a cast iron.

Forgot to say that I'll be still keeping a backup plan of going divorce mount (and hence the need for that input I asked about)just in case.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
Decide to solid mount the tranny and Tcase, found a vendor off of pirate that does you weld it all steel clockable adapters (trail tech fab) with really good history, called him up and sent him the old tailhousing off the tranny. Anyway the adapter is long one and will require bracing etc, keep in mind this adapter will not be supporting either the tranny of t-case, just holding them together, as the tranny and t-case will have seperate mounts (solid mount everything, so going this way ensures strength). attached are the pictures.

Attached Files

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
Bumpity :D, looks like I'll have some time to get back to working on this again, the new job is treating me well and the work schedule will be changing to a 20 on 8 off rotation in the first part of feb., so I will be able to get some time in on this before summer. Motor is also down, details in my other thread. I will be changing my plans slightly, diffs are going to stay under it for now, as I would really prefer to go with some custom built 9" front and rear, and I think I'll sit tight and work with whats under there for now and just carry a few spare parts for the front. I also picked up some rear disc conversion brackets from ruff stuff.

The plan is to get the motor finished up & build the front accessory brackets (this will dictate the c/o & panhard mounts), fit up the tranny and tcase mounts, box & add stiffeners to the frame, the suspension and cage work followed lastly by all the little accessory stuff. Right now I'm back at the farm and my dad has said he'll do the tranny rebuild for me, which is good, it will save some time that's for sure. Speaking of the tranny, since i will have a spare case 'm going to experiment with welding to it (if you read above you will see that the tail housing is simply cast steel, and I'm suspecting the case is the same material), as I'd like to stiffen up the case as much as I can, as with the power I'll be running I'm suspecting case flex will be the primary mode of failure, so if it works I'll add external stiffeners to it.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Update, well since the last post I have done 0 to the truck, motor has its own thread, so I'll leave it there.  Anyway being  back in Calgary permanent, and having a garage now, means I can actually work on this truck.  Brought it up into cowtown yesterday, but ran into an issue.  Reciever hitch on my centurion folded in half like a pretzel.  Previous owner installed the hitch using washers between the hitch and frame to clear the bumper (I removed these washers a while back, but the damage must have already been done), and I failed to notice and the rest is history.  Swapped truck with my parents after limping into lethbridge and came into town late last night.  One of the shitty shock hoops broke off the frame as well on the journey into town.  Anyway, work to start on this thing soon.  Just have to organize my garage lol as I brought a full 20' trailer full of crap up with me too..

Attached Thumbnails

• 1a.jpg
  • 2a.jpg
  • 3a.jpg

Home Brew S-10

Home Brew S-10
  • Members
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 08-February 10
Wow. I wonder what would have happened if the guy actually got to drive the thing.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Yeah who know what would've happened.  Scary to think either way.  So yeah I got the truck in the garage, stripped out the old diffs and suspension.  Fellow out of red deer bought them, also sold to old tranny and tcase out of the ranger as well.  Went and picked up the new Meritor RF611 planetary diffs from Neil at Western Canadian Rockwell.  Took the first one apart and manhandled it into the garage, stupid heavy and wicked strong.  The plan is to use a 9" center, use the meritor inner knuckle out, fab the housing using square tube, knuckles will be mitre cut to maximize weld surface area and spread the load out over the largest area possible.  9" will be spooled with 2.47 or 2.75 gear set, the axles are a 2:1 planetary hub, so total ratiowill be 5 to 5:50 to 1.

Attached Thumbnails

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • f.jpg
  • g.jpg
  • h.jpg
  • i.jpg
  • j.jpg
  • k.jpg
  • l.jpg
  • m.jpg
  • n.jpg
  • o.jpg
  • 1891047_10154603600710282_3392831396047867617_n.jpg

WCR

WCR

Western Canadian Rockwell

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 01-April 14
Wow, you didn't waste any time getting those things tore down, nice work!
Rockwell - Axletech - Meritor, axles and parts for sale
http://westerncanadi...ca/index.html?m

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Had to get it torn apart to unload the bugger, only way to unload it into the garage safely lol.  On a side note these things still had the gear paint on the ring and pinion, and came apart really easy.

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

I was able to get the other diff apart and in the garage. Last night I cut a section of the housing out to see how weldable this stuff is, as over the weekend I'll be at the farm with access to my 309L stick electrodes & welder (only have a Hobart mig at home right now) as well as my tig setup.

For shits and giggles I grabber a piece of flat bar roughly the same size as the chunk I took out of the diff cover (I figured if I end up using the housings I will at least cut the cast in diff cover off and build a high clearance bolt on unit, so this is where I took the material from) and welded it using my Hobart with gasless fluxcore in it.  Procedure was high voltage, lowish wire feed speed (to keep the beads small) and minimal oscillation.  Preheat, for the flat bar was room temp. and the cover piece was ~250*F (just from cutting it out of the housing).

After welding, I tossed it in my press until it broke at just over 5 tons of force directly on the joint.  Now the material welded very no, no weird quirks or anything.  Grinding on it, you can tell its a hard material.  For analysis of the break, well the fracture initiated on the side where the press was applying pressure starting at the spot it did due to a stress riser on the surface, and also due to incomplete fusion/penetration in the center of the weld.

With the way it broke through the center of one of the welds then veered off into the base metal, I can say that this is weldable, however it has to be done with an electrode with some nickel content (I'm going to try E309L this weekend), a high preheat (500*F+), welds need to be small &  quick, and the parts post heated to the preheat temp. and cooled slowly after this.

If hot cracking (due to access carbon) would have occurred, it would've occurred during this little test, and the most difficult item to overcome will be ensuring the HAZ doesn't become to brittle (which explains a little of the path of the fracture).  I'll be doing nick break tests to confirm all of this prior to any actual welding to the housings.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1742.jpg
  • IMAG1741.jpg
  • IMAG1740.jpg
  • IMAG1735.jpg
  • IMAG1747.jpg
  • IMAG1748.jpg
  • IMAG1745.jpg
  • IMAG1733.jpg

Cody Ford

Cody Ford
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

Did some welds tests over the turkey day weekend.  309L and a do it all farmer rod called 80AC+ my dad had kicking around.  Both tests were done with SMAW.  The 309L electrodes I had were to big for the test piece (3/16" dia) and things got way to hot (also got the sample to hot on the post heat, didn't have a temp gun or tempil stick to verify the temperature, but it started to get red hot, which is 800+*C).  What this resulted in, is the weld cracked along the fusion line prior to placing it in the press to break the weld.  Aside from that it welded great.  When I placed it in the press to break it, it held on really good, but didn't break where I wanted it to (in the precut groove used in a nick break test), it broke where the crack had started.  For the 80 AC+, it welded great and I had good control on the pre/post heat, but it did not bond to the cast material at all, as you can see in the pictures, and is a complete fail for this application.

The intended procedure was preheat to 400ish *F, then weld out using small quick passes and peen each pass after it was finished.  I would then clean to sound metal and repeat until finished and post heat to 4-500*F.  Joint prep was a double V joint, the sample was ~3" wide and 3/8" thick.  The first two pictures are 80AC+ and the last are of the 309L. For the Nick break testing, after welding I ground/polished the samples flush to the base metal, then ground a notch on both faces of the weld (in the center of the weld) ~2mm deep, then placed them in the press and went until they broke.  Pressure gauge was at 15tons from the E309L piece when it broke, and ~9tons for the 80AC+ when it broke.  Remember, these pressure readings are only good on my press, using the same sized samples compared to each other (IE this is a comparison test result).  Once I have achieved what I call good results with welding to the cast, I will do a "for information" test on a mild steel to mild steel test piece to compare to.  Also, these number do not in any way reflect actual ultimate strength numbers.

Looking at everything, I'm going to retry the 309L, only with proper pre/post heat control, and instead of stick I'll using GMAW using the E309L in a 0.035 size.  I'm also going to try to use a cast iron/nickel GMAW filler I found as well called Crown Alloys 44-30.  The filler wires should be here in a couple weeks.  I will also do a test with plain old ER70-6.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1775.jpg
  • IMAG1776.jpg
  • IMAG1780.jpg
  • IMAG1781.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users