Photo

TJ comp cut, stretch and tube fenders

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
Started by stripping the fender flair, gas filler, licence plate holder and tail light.

Posted Image

Then I made a template

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then marked and cut 'er up!

Posted Image

Got some 3/16th and transfered the pattern

Posted Image

A jigsaw can cut 3/16th, but it's a mayjor PITA

Posted Image

As you can see I have so much room in my garage, I had to suffle her over to get to the other side.
Same deal, fender flair, tail light, evap crap my 6.0 doesn't use anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that's where I'm at now. Waiting to bring the plate to a buddie's to clamp, heat and bend on an old tub he's got. Oh, and waiting on payday to get fasteners and taillights. I'm going to try to put the tailgate hinges over the plate... but haven't had any luck taking the bolts from hell out.
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,659 posts
Try jet lube magic wrench. It's AWSOME!!!! I like the cut . What are you doing with the hing supports and body mounts inside the fender? I've always wondered what people do with that stuff. I also can't wait to see the curve. Been wondering for a long time if it would work. ust haven't been brave enough to try.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
Both remain unchanged. I just found my 3/8" T40, and adapted it to my dinky Crapy Tire electric impact... got two out!!! :)

The only part about bending the plate that I'm worried about is that once we bend it to match the tub, it'll spring back some... and the only way to keep that from happening would be to go passed 90deg. Doing so without the tub would surely not bend it evenly.

Oh and the curve is my chirstmas tree stand. LOL I was going for the Genright look.
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Soup Man

Soup Man
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
I've used a tree and a ratchet strap to make a bend like that before...

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Worked like a charm! They each have a little spring back, but nothing to worry about.

My buddy heated and I pushed until we got to half the bend... then put another clamp to keep it from wanting to lift off the tub. Then used the bar clamp to pull it the rest of the way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about the crappy cell pics.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
So after a week soaking the gate hinge bolts with penetrating oil, tapping on them to try to "break them loose" and two T40s, I got them off. There was of course, and thick film of corrosion between the tub and them... so I scraped the crud off, gave it some 80 grit and gave 'er the primer
Posted Image
The hinges had looked bad for a while... I priced stainless ones... but wasn't worth the cost.
Posted Image
Normally I would have brought these to work and blasted them in the cabinet... but that shop's going through a major revamp, so I just hit them with the wire wheel. I also got some spacers for the gate end of the hinges and the lower nut thingy (it was exposed to the elements) ready for paint.
Posted Image
Primer
Posted Image
Disregard the numbers, but this was some of the head scratching I did figuring out what the pipe's gonna look like where it meets the tub
Posted Image
Driver's side
Posted Image
I couldn't get all three bends on the same piece because it wouldn't fit in the bender, so I've got a 90 that I'll splice in later.
1st bend on the pass side
Posted Image
Setting up for the 2nd bend
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Not much, but I aim to do a little each day. At least that way it keeps moving forward.
1st coat of rust paint
Posted Image
Paint on the parts, two 90s bent, and figguring out how much of the main pipe to cut off as well as the 90 that'll be spliced on.
Posted Image
Picked up some hardware. Left to right; original shitty ass torx gate hinge bolts, 1/4" longer stainless gate hinge replacements, 3/8" stainless corner bolts, nylock nuts and big ass washers.
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,659 posts
I like your grinder wrack . nice and handy. The fenders look like they're comin along . Nothin like a little multi plain bending.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Thanks. One guy in our club has a 4x4 plasma table... he wiped those up. Comes in pretty handy. I was down to one grinder when they came on sale for $20 at crappy tire. Sure was a pain going from cutting to grinding to flapper about a dozen times an hour. LOL I could use one more for the wire wheel, but I used that one the least, so no biggie.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
I'd been putting it off, but today I tackled the gas filler.
Here's where she's going (red hose is new filler hose)
Posted Image
Started with a stepper drill hole, and masked to keep the paint from scratching with the jig saw (I know it's gonna be covered, but scratches=rust)
Posted Image
cut out
Posted Image
here's what I started with ($70 new... nervous to screw it up)
Posted Image
yikes!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'd never welded such thin metal before, so some practice was in order. youtube said high heat and feed, lots of spots
Posted Image
First one burned through, so I went from D to C on the heat
Posted Image
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Did 'er up
Posted Image
Ground the welds smooth, and filled two little spots. Ground again, then flappered
Posted Image
2 coats of primer, and two coats of Duplicolor. (WAY better then Tremclad)
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm going to tilt it up using some washers... but I may need to build something like the factory bezel to hold it at more of an angle later.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Used my buddy's new Baileigh TN-250 other night and cut out some braces for the tube... or sorry, pipe fenders. They're offset 1/8" so that the plating will sit flush. I needed 1 5/16th" hole saw, but Northern Equipment only had 1 1/4" so I figgured that'd be fine.
They just needed a bit of cleaning up. Here's before and after
Posted Image
before
Posted Image
after
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
You can see the offset to the right
Posted Image
Posted Image
First of many test fits
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Posted Image
I had traced the gromet... should fit right? Hell no. Took me about 2 hours of grinding, die grinding, jigsawing, test fitting about 10 times. Uh.
Posted Image
Still a little tight, but there's nothing else holding it other then friction. I just hope paint and primer doesn't make it no longer fit.
I'd get more done but we have some friends over for a playdate. Maybe more later... and I did take tomorrow off to get more done.
2003 Jeep TJ

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,659 posts
I wish you could get paint that looks like the raw sheet. I lov that color

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Isn't that Gun Metal Grey? You could just clear over. :)
2003 Jeep TJ

Mr.Duck

Mr.Duck

Lefty loosey

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted Image
I had traced the gromet... should fit right? Hell no. Took me about 2 hours of grinding, die grinding, jigsawing, test fitting about 10 times. Uh.
Posted Image
Still a little tight, but there's nothing else holding it other then friction. I just hope paint and primer doesn't make it no longer fit.
I'd get more done but we have some friends over for a playdate. Maybe more later... and I did take tomorrow off to get more done.

I bought a couple bolt on trailer light mounts from Princess auto. (the round and the oval)
When we install grommet mount lights in equipment we bring out one of these and trace the hole.
FAWK THAT

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Good idea. I'm just going to trace the completed side, cut out that paper and re-trace on the other side. Should work.

drilled and partaily bolted
Posted Image
spliceing in the 90 on the pass side flare
Posted Image
test fit
Posted Image
Posted Image
with gussets
Posted Image
Posted Image
... and that took about 4 hours. LOL
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
After a quick boost from the car I pulled her out (he he he) to clean up and move her over
Posted Image
Charging away
Posted Image
after a quick clean up
Posted Image
tucked in
Posted Image
I hope I took everything out that I needed!
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Mr.Duck

Mr.Duck

Lefty loosey

• Members
  • 902 posts
That is a nice rear flare.
Holy shit I thought my garage was tight
FAWK THAT

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Took today off to work on 'er. Spent a solid 5 hours... though you wouldn't think.
Pass side skinned
Posted Image
Posted Image
Driver's side holes drilled, partially bolted up and marked for trimming
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users