TJ comp cut, stretch and tube fenders

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
I didn't take many pics doing the driver's side, as it's the same as the pass.
Here they are completed with the first coat of Bondo brand "Plastic Metal"
Posted Image
I wasn't happy with how the filler was going to be sitting out in the open, not to mention the 1st part of it was going to be sitting level, and I was affraid it would drip back out... so 3.5" pipe with 22deg cut, some scrap 3/16th and lots of welding and grinding later;
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The liquid metal kinda sucks. I'd get one shot to spread it and it would start to harden up. I JUST made it with one tube... though I'll need a 2nd pass. It was nice to be able to trim it after a half hour with a utility knife
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,810 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
are those grinder marks all over ?

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
  • Interests:Anything with an engine!... hell it doesn't even have to have an engine, as long as it has tires!
Yeah, I hit up the surface with the flapper wheel. There seems to be some kinda coating... almost like a paint. Just scuffing it up for my own paint job. I sanded that coat and gave it another coat, another sand, and another coat last night. Tonight's final sand and primer!
2003 Jeep TJ
6" susp, 1"BL, 6.0L, built 4L65E, 241OR, shaved 14 bolt w/Detroit & Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56s, 40" Krawlers.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Not much progress... I hate this part of building stuff... drying takes for EVER!
2 coats of primer, brushed on!
Posted Image
Color tomorrow
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Topcoat
Posted Image
my solution for nutserts that always end up spinning
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
installed
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Lights installed
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Got my link materialUppers 1.75X 3/8 wall
Posted Image
Lowers 2X1/2 wall
Posted Image
Forgot to lay out the JJs... tomorrow. LOL
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Wanted to go out and get some supplies, so I threw these on in a couple min.
Posted Image
Don't laugh, they're temporary.
2003 Jeep TJ

Stainless

Stainless
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 07-September 08
Those fenders turned out great. Good job!

S

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Well Jeep Jam came and went. I decided not to try to complete the stretch and coilovers in a hurry, or even worse, not complete them in time.

All shined up
Posted Image

on the ramp... 1150 with the rear shocks having about 2" of uptravel (don't ask) LOL
Posted Image

On the trail with the Mrs lookin' hot
Posted Image

Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Started into it 1st thing home... well after a couple hours of pressure washing. LOL

I guess they were closer then I thought. LOL
Posted Image

before
Posted Image

nice shot of my stand extensions and axle dolly
Posted Image

and as she sits now.
Posted Image

Working tomorrow night wich means I get two weekdays to work at her!
2003 Jeep TJ

Twister

Twister

OWNER of EMF Rod Ends

• Root Admin
  • 6,810 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06
looked like it was working well. The longer links will be that much nicer and create a better arc for travel.

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Yeah it did work well. Made me a little squirmish about ripping into it mid season.... oh well. The grooved Krawlers worked like magic on the rock... I was amazed... and that was at 10psi. I may try 8.

Well, 6 cutting discs, 8 grinding discs, one grinder and 4 hours later the axle housing's clean. That wasn't fun. Frame tomorrow. Pics after.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Posted Image
and to give you an idea how much room I'm working with
Posted Image
Frame #1 cleaned... should be able to finish side #2 tonight.
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
Well the yoke guard didn't fit over the yoke so I had to buy a 1.5" socket and get disapointed in my crappy little Mastercraft impact. LOL Ended up using a 2', 3/4" drive ratchet and beat on the end with a 5lb maul while holding the yoke with a pipe wrench... it worked.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Notched the crossmember/ skid for the new brackets... I'll have to reinforce before re-instal.
Posted Image
Welded and primed some brackets
Posted Image
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
The exhaust was right in the way of the brackets... so they had to go. Here's the pass side... I bent it away, but may still cut the cat out and re-pipe
Posted Image
Driver's side. This is going to be an incredible PITA to re-pipe. There's absolutely minimal room between the d-shaft, t-case, crossmember and bracket.
Posted Image
Axle's in place on tires... just waiting on a 2nd set of eyes to place and measure for links.
2003 Jeep TJ

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
So, after some measuring and head scratching, it appears that with my current setup even if I french the frame clear to the inside wall... I'll only have 3/4" of clearance between frame and tire for the coilovers. So, some solutions that came to mind were; wheel spacers, different offset wheels, or running single rear wheel hubs on the 14 bolt. I'm going with the hubs. Should give me another 2-3" per side. I'll just worry about tire coverage later. This also has me wanting to go full width in the front to match
2003 Jeep TJ

Optimus primer

Optimus primer
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 23-January 11
Were did you get your link brackets?

Mr.Duck

Mr.Duck

Lefty loosey

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Joined 26-March 08
Those look like TMR brackets.
Do you buy them Pre-welded?
I bought un-welded, not the easiest
FAWK THAT

Big G

Big G
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
My buddy made them on CAD and had them tacked together when I got them. He'd made at least one internal weld before full assembly.
2003 Jeep TJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users